DevOps Engineer (Scientific Information Services)
Join a team of DevOps Engineers and librarians who design, develop and operate services to help scientists find the scientific information they need and make science go faster! Take part!
Scientific Information Officer in the Director General Unit (DGU), Scientific Information Service Group (SIS).
Collaboration and the free flow of information are critical to CERN's success in achieving its scientific goals. In partnership with the CERN IT Department and external partners, the CERN Scientific Information Service develops and operates a suite of digital library services for high-energy physics researchers worldwide. These services make accessible CERN scientific results (https://cds.cern.ch/), organise and connect scientific information in the field, support Open Access to the results of research and provide the backbone to all the CERN Library services.
With partners in Asia, Europe, and the United States, the Service leads the development (http://github.com/inspirehep) and operation of INSPIRE (http://inspirehep.net) comprising over 1 million scientific documents, searched several times per second by a community of tens of thousands of researchers, and now evolving into a crowd-sourced system (http://labs.inspirehep.net). We are developing new services in partnership with the scientific community and the CERN IT department to share (http://opendata.cern.ch) and preserve (http://analysis-preservation.cern.ch) LHC data.
All these services are based on the open source Invenio digital library (http://invenio-software.org), a flask application backed by Elasticsearch, PostgreSQL/MariaDB, Redis and Celery, developed in Python in a distributed version control system (Git), integrated with automation platforms in a distributed environment (Puppet, Docker) and run on the CERN OpenStack infrastructure.
As DevOps Engineer, you will share responsibility for developing and operating the entire suite of our digital library services and deliver solutions to address the evolving needs of their user communities. In particular you will:
- In cooperation with the team leadership, design services for the continuous automation of existing processes for the discovery, organization and display of scientific information relevant for the user communities.
- In synergy with the wider group of Invenio developers, deliver relevant components to sustain and grow the team's services either on the existing software stack, or with open source sustainable alternatives. Coach students contributing to the development and take direct responsibility for software integration and deployment.
- Identify, suggest and deliver solutions for seamless interoperability of relevant information platforms operated at CERN and by the wider community.
- Pro-actively analyse technology trends, user feedback, usage logs, and usability test results to suggest strategies to enhance user experience and service level.
Bachelors in the field of computer science or software engineering, or equivalent.
*Please note that preference will be given to candidates with the above-mentioned qualifications: In principle consideration will not be given to applications from people with higher qualifications.
The experience required for this post is:
- Strong programming skills and proven experience with common web standards and frameworks. Usage of version control systems preferably in open source projects (code review and merging).
- Understanding of systems and IT operations for a scalable web service in a Linux/Unix environment, including familiarity with automation platforms for a distributed environment.
- Experience with agile methodologies such as SCRUM, test-driven development and continuous integration is an asset.
- Familiarity with common formats and protocols used in digital libraries as well as concepts in scholarly communication would be an advantage.
The technical competencies required for this post are:
- Database/Repository design: ORMs (SQLAlchemy), PostgreSQL, MySQL.
- IT Operations: Linux, bash, Puppet, Docker.
The behavioural competencies required for this post are:
- Learning and sharing knowledge: sharing knowledge and expertise freely and willingly with others; coaching others to ensure knowledge transfer.
- Working in teams: building and maintaining constructive and effective work relationships.
- Achieving results: delivering high quality work on time and fulfilling expectations; having a structured and organised approach towards work; being able to set priorities and plan tasks with results in mind; driving work / projects along and seeing them through to their conclusion.
- Communicating effectively: expressing opinions, ideas and suggestions with conviction and in a logical/structured manner; keeping to the point; utilising effective negotiation techniques to achieve long-term results acceptable to all parties involved; delivering presentations in a structured and clear way; adjusting style and content to the audience; responding calmly and confidently to questions.
The language competencies required are:
- English or French: spoken and written with the ability to draw up technical texts.
- The ability to understand and speak the other language in professional contexts would be an advantage.
Employing a diverse and international workforce is a CERN core value and central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States irrespective of gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, race, religion or personal situation.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 15.02.2016.
By applying here, you allow CERN to consider your application for any position it considers relevant with respect to your profile. Please ensure you update your profile regularly with any relevant information and that you inform the recruitment service if you wish your file to be removed from the database.
We offer a limited-duration contract for a period of 5 years. Limited-duration contracts shall terminate by default on their date of expiry. Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.