Education and Outreach Officer
Are you an experienced education and outreach officer looking to put you skills to the test in CERN's dynamic and innovative environment? Take part and contribute to CERN's CMS collaboration!
Education and Outreach Officer in the Experimental Physics Department (EP), CMO group for the CMS Collaboration.
You will join CERN's Experimental Physics department responsible for research in the field of experimental physics and Detector R&D for current and new projects and for providing a working environment for users from all over the world.
In particular you will join CERN's Communication group of the CMS experiment at CERN (CMO group) responsible for the design and implementation of education and outreach programs such as CMS public data, art@CMS and CMS Virtual Visits, among others.
As an Education and Outreach Officer, you will work under the responsibility of the Coordinator of CMS Communications. Working in close collaboration with colleagues inside the CMS Communications Group and CERN but also with partners outside CERN, you will be expected to:
- Plan, manage, review and evaluate existing education and outreach programs, especially EU funded projects.
- Design, develop and implement new education and outreach activities.
- Liaise with internal and external partners including more than 20 European partners and up to 100 collaborators from different research institutes for specific projects.to create education and outreach resources and material.
- Identify funding opportunities and lead partnerships and proposal development.
- Provide advice and support to internal and external stakeholders.
Master's degree in a scientific/technological field, complemented by a degree in science communication, or equivalent.
The profesional experience required for this post includes:
- Relevant experience in education and outreach activities, including planning and execution.
- Participation and management of EU funded education and outreach projects.
- Coordination of large, international teams in the education and outreach area.
The technical competencies required for this post are:
- Project management.
- Knowledge of EU regulations.
- Science writing, scientific popularization.
- Managing relations and partnerships with non profit as well as corporate entities.
- Exhibition design and management.
The behavioural competencies required for this post are:
- Achieving results: driving work/projects along and seeing them through to their conclusion.
- Communicating rffectively: demonstrating a pro-active approach to resolving differences; addressing issues of conflict constructively; selecting the appropriate medium and forum to communicate; Utilising effective negotiation techniques to achieve long-term results acceptable to all parties involved.
- Demonstrating flexibility: readily absorbing new techniques and working practices; proposing new or improved ways of working.
- Learning and sharing knowledge: using knowledge sharing systems and technology; Sharing knowledge and expertise freely and willingly with others; coaching others to ensure knowledge transfer.
The language competencies required are:
- Mother tongue or Fluent English: ability to understand and speak English in professional contexts as well as the ability to draft texts for publications and/ or official communications and to make oral presentations .
- The knowledge of the French language or the willingness to acquire this rapidly would be an advantage.
Employing a diverse and international workforce is a CERN core value and central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States irrespective of gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, race, religion or personal situation.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 14.02.2016.
By applying here, you allow CERN to consider your application for any position it considers relevant with respect to your profile. Please ensure you update your profile regularly with any relevant information and that you inform the recruitment service if you wish your file to be removed from the database.
We offer a limited-duration contract for a period of 2 years. Limited-duration contracts shall terminate by default on their date of expiry.
Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Work during nights, Sundays and public holidays.
- Interventions in underground installations.
- A valid driving licence is required.