Electrical Operation Engineer
Are you an electrical engineer looking for a new challenge in the field of power distribution in a very dynamic environment? Contribute to keep the CERN's power supply at the forefront and meet the needs of the continuously evolving accelerators, experiments, and general infrastructure. Take part!
Electrical Operation Engineer in the Engineering Department (EN), Electrical Engineering Group (EL), Operation Section (OP).
You will join:
- The Engineering Department (EN) that provides engineering competencies, infrastructure systems, and technical coordination for the world's largest particle accelerator complex and its experimental facilities.
- The Electrical Engineering Group (EL) that is responsible for CERN's electrical distribution network from 400 kV to 400/230 V. Its main missions are to operate, maintain, extend and renovate the network, analyse and make projections for CERN's electrical energy consumption and manage relations with the energy suppliers. The group is also in charge of making modifications and extensions to the network when required by new projects, with detailed studies, equipment procurement, installation, supervision and commissioning.
- The Network Operation Section (OP) that is responsible for the operation of CERN's electrical distribution network: high and low voltage installations (400 kV, 66 kV, 20 kV, 18 kV, 3.3 kV, 400 V, 48V).
As an Electrical Operation Engineer in the OP Section, you will:
- Ensure the flawless daily operation of the electrical distribution network of the Organization.
- Provide technical support to the electrical operators of the section.
- Manage all activities related to annual major tests carried out within the electrical group.
- Manage all activities related to power quality measurements on the CERN's electrical network, perform those measurements as required and subsequently make proposals to improve the performance of the electrical distribution network.
- Contribute to the improvement of the database of the measurements, perturbations, events and failures of the electrical distribution network. For this:
- Propose consolidation actions to prevent recurring events and failures and/or measures to mitigate their effects on the operation of the accelerator complex, the associated experiments and the computer centres.
- Prepare periodic summary reports describing the measurements carried out, the events observed, their effects and the actions undertaken to improve the network availability and the energy quality.
- Monitor the execution of the energy supply contracts, check monthly expenses, and prepare energy consumption forecasts in the short, medium and long-term following different operation scenarios of the accelerator complex.
- Develop and update operating and testing procedures to maintain the documentation of the section to the highest quality standards.
- Manage CERN's tool related to the follow up of electrical consumption per user.
- Contribute to studies and projects undertaken by the group and participate in the commissioning of new equipment and substations.
- Establish and implement appropriate safety policies for the electrical distribution network.
Master's degree in the field of Electrical engineering, or equivalent.
The experience required for this post is:
- Relevant experience as an electrical operation engineer, electrical maintenance engineer or electrical commissioning engineer
- Operating and ensuring the safety of large electrical systems.
- Establishing quality assurance plans, policies and procedures.
- A relevant experience in the design and management of high-voltage and low-voltage power networks for a large industrial site would be an asset.
- Managing large energy supply contracts would be an asset.
The technical competencies required for this post are:
- Commissioning, maintenance & operation of electrical distribution systems.
- Use of Office software packages: e.g. Ms Office.
- Electrical distribution: high and low voltage equipment technology; electrical measurement technology; protection systems.
- Configuration and use of Supervisory Control And Data Acquisition (SCADA) systems would be an asset.
The behavioural competencies required for this post are:
- Working in teams: building and maintaining constructive and effective work relationships; working well in groups and readily fitting into a team; participating fully and taking an active role in team activities; gaining trust and collaboration from others.
- Managing self: working well autonomously; taking on activities and tasks without prompting.
- Demonstrating accountability: working conscientiously and reliably; delivering on promises.
- Solving problems: anticipating obstacles; assessing alternative solutions in order to have a fall-back plan.
The language competencies required are:
- Spoken and written English or French: ability to understand and speak the other language in professional contexts. Ability to draw-up technical specifications and/or scientific reports and to make oral presentations in at least one of the two languages.
Employing a diverse and international workforce is a CERN core value and central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States irrespective of gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, race, religion or personal situation.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 06.03.2016.
By applying here, you allow CERN to consider your application for any position it considers relevant with respect to your profile. Please ensure you update your profile regularly with any relevant information and that you inform the recruitment service if you wish your file to be removed from the database.
We offer a limited-duration contract for a period of 5 years. Limited-duration contracts shall terminate by default on their date of expiry.
Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require :
- Participation in a regular stand-by duty, including nights, Sundays and public holidays.
- Work during nights, Sundays and public holidays.
- Work in Radiation Areas.
- Interventions in underground installations.
- A valid driving licence is required.
- Shift work, when required by the needs of the Organization.
- Work during nights, Sundays and official holidays, when required by the needs of the Organization.