Experienced Web Developer
Experienced Web Developer.
You will join the Finance and Administrative Processes Department (FAP), Advanced Information Systems Group (AIS), responsible for delivering information systems for all of CERN's business functions.
The group is composed of 50+ talented international software engineers working for clients across the whole Organisation (HR, Finance, Planning, Safety, Security, Purchasing, Logistics, and Accelerator Operations). The number and type of applications under the group responsibility goes from small custom-made with few users applications to very large and widely integrated with 15,000+ users applications. Hence, working for AIS provides numerous perspectives for being in touch with different technologies and business areas.
You will join a team of 3 skilled developers responsible for maintaining and improving CERN's new Enterprise Document Management system, based on the Alfresco ECM. The challenges are building powerful search engine using Solr, implementing role based access control, designing modern user interfaces, as well as integrating with other CERN's systems.
Working in a world renowned research organization we value creativity and innovation to deliver world class software systems. At the same time, our academic heritage means there are excellent opportunities for training and personal development.
An overview of the general benefits working at CERN entitles you to is available at: http://jobs.web.cern.ch/content/benefits-and-perks
Your key roles in the team:
- Analyse, design, implement, integrate, test & document new features.
- Provide support and maintenance on the Alfresco ECM platform and extensions.
- Build synergies and work with other developers across the group.
- Mentor junior developers.
- Participate in the process of maintaining and further improving the high standards of software engineering practices used within the team and the group.
- Stay up to date on latest software technology trends.
Master's degree in the field of Computing, Computer Science, Software Engineering or equivalent.
The experience required for this post is:
- Proven experience in Java development with excellent knowledge of the JDKs 6 to 8 and extensive know-how in implementing solutions using industry standard open source frameworks (e.g. Spring, Hibernate);
- Experience in implementing Enterprise search tools;
- Very good familiarity with the modern software development life cycle: unit testing, continuous integration, version control, debugging, documentation;
- The following experience would be an advantage:
- Experience in installing, configuring developing and deploying Alfresco (or equivalent) based solutions;
- Good knowledge on Alfresco architecture and its related products;
- Experience in configuration/customisation of Solr;
- Drools development experience;
- Working knowledge of SQL (preferably Oracle).
The technical competencies required for this post are:
- Database/Repository design: SQL (Oracle RDBMS is a plus.
- Testing: use of automated testing and continuous integration tools.
- Application support: provide specialised 3rd line support to business specialists.
- Systems integration: integration and testing of components and/or subsystems and their interfaces.
- Technical Advice and Guidance: working with business specialists in the selection/evaluation of technical solutions.
The behavioural competencies required for this post are:
- Achieving results: having a structured and organised approach towards work; being able to set priorities and plan tasks with results in mind.
- Learning and sharing knowledge: keeping up-to-date with developments in own field of expertise and readily absorbing new information; sharing knowledge and expertise freely and willingly with others; coaching others to ensure knowledge transfer.
- Working in teams: cooperating constructively with others in the pursuit of team goals; balancing personal goals with team goals.
- Demonstrating flexibility: adapting quickly and resourcefully to shifting priorities and requirements.
- Communicating effectively: expressing opinions, ideas and suggestions with conviction and in a logical/structured manner; keeping to the point.
The language competencies required are:
- English spoken and written, with the ability to draw-up technical specifications and/or scientific reports, and/or to make oral presentations.
- The ability to understand and speak French in professional contexts would be an advantage.
Employing a diverse and international workforce is a CERN core value and central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States irrespective of gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, race, religion or personal situation.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 22.01.2017
By applying here, you allow CERN to consider your application for any position it considers relevant with respect to your profile. Please ensure you update your profile regularly with any relevant information and that you inform the recruitment service if you wish your file to be removed from the database.
We offer a limited-duration contract for a period of 5 years. Limited-duration contracts shall terminate by default on their date of expiry. Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Work during nights, Sundays and official holidays, when required by the needs of the Organization.