Java and Database Software Engineer
Are you an experienced Java Software Engineer with a good knowledge of relational databases? Would you like to work on the development of complex systems in an exciting international environment, at the forefront of modern science? Then join us, and get involved in shaping the future of engineering data management tools used by thousands of users. CERN, Take Part!
Java and Database Software Engineer in the Engineering Department (EN), Alignment Coordination and Engineering Group (ACE), Engineering Data Management Section (EDM).
You will join:
- The Engineering Department (EN) that provides engineering competences, infrastructure systems and technical coordination for the world's largest particle accelerator complex and its experimental facilities;
- The Alignment Coordination and Engineering Group (ACE) which provides project coordination for the accelerator complex, including layout management, integration, scheduling, work and safety coordination as well as metrology and alignment services. The group further provides development and support for the Organization's engineering data, maintenance management tools and CAD systems;
- The Engineering Data Management Section (EDM), which provides software solutions, support and consulting for Engineering Knowledge Management across CERN. We develop and maintain CERN's Product Lifecycle Management system, EDMS, with its CDD (CERN Drawing Directory) component, used to store, exchange, approve and trace design and documentation relevant to the Organization's infrastructure and projects. The system is actively used by over 3,000 users and allows for efficient management of over 1.5 million of documents and technical drawings.
As Java and Database Software Engineer in the Engineering Data Management Section, you will:
- Participate in the whole software development lifecycle (requirements, architecture & design, development, code reviews, testing) within the current EDMS technical environment (Oracle Agile e6, Oracle Database, Infor EAM, SmarTeam) as well as future PLM (Product Lifecycle Management) environments;
- Interact with various user groups (CERN's engineers, designers, operation and maintenance teams) to analyse their needs in the scope of Product Lifecycle Management, Document Management and Data Warehousing; write technical specifications, develop high level data and process model;
- Take responsibility for system monitoring and general system management including deploying upgrades and patches, diagnosing and resolving operational problems;
- Participate in the advanced user support, provide end-user documentation such as guidelines;
- Evaluate technology trends in the area of web development and backend solutions (database, system APIs, integration technologies);
- Play a key role in the development team, propose enhancements to internal agile processes, coach fellow team members.
Master's degree in the field of computer science, software engineering, or equivalent.
The experience required for this post is:
- Demonstrated experience in design, development, deployment and maintenance of complex Java (or .NET) systems, specifically in the domain of web applications using relational databases and integration via web services;
- Experience with providing user support, as well as technical support in operation, configuration and troubleshooting of web applications developed in-house or purchased from a vendor.
- Practical experience with Linux systems;
- Experience with PLM systems or mechanical engineering in general would be an asset.
The technical competencies required for this post are:
- Solution architecture: design and development of complex software solutions;
- Programming/software development: the creation, testing and documenting of new and amended programs; software development processes and techniques;
- Systems installation/decommissioning: installation, testing, tuning and replacement of software systems;
- Application support: user support, system maintenance and performance monitoring.
The behavioural competencies required for this post are:
- Achieving results: delivering high quality work on time and fulfilling expectations;
- Working in teams: building and maintaining constructive and effective work relationships;
- Managing self: working well autonomously; taking on activities and tasks without prompting; taking initiative beyond regular tasks and making things happen;
- Solving problems: identifying, defining and assessing problems, taking action to address them;
- Learning and sharing knowledge: keeping up-to-date with developments in own field of expertise and readily absorbing new information; sharing knowledge and expertise freely and willingly with others; coaching others to ensure knowledge transfer.
The language competencies required are:
- English: spoken and written, with the ability to draw-up technical specifications and/or scientific reports, and/or to make oral presentations;
- The ability to understand and speak French in professional contexts would be an advantage.
Employing a diverse and international workforce is a CERN core value and central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States irrespective of gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, race, religion or personal situation.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 12.02.2017.
By applying here, you allow CERN to consider your application for any position it considers relevant with respect to your profile. Please ensure you update your profile regularly with any relevant information and that you inform the recruitment service if you wish your file to be removed from the database.
We offer a limited-duration contract for a period of 5 years. Limited duration contracts shall terminate by default on their date of expiry. Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Stand-by duty, when required by the needs of the Organization.
- Work during nights, Sundays and official holidays, when required by the needs of the Organization.