Are you a qualified mechanical engineer, specialised in industrial ventilation and hydraulics installations? Contribute your skill and experience to the design and construction of highly complex large ventilation plants in a unique environment hosting some of the world's most complex technical installations. Join CERN's Cooling and Ventilation team. Take part!
Second post to hire on published VN EN-CV-PJ-2016-160-LD, EDH 6513594. The second position is withdrawn in ERT (EN-CV-PJ-2017-74-LD, EDH 6693902)
Engineer for Ventilation Plants in the Engineering Department (EN), Cooling and Ventilation Group (CV).
You will join:
The Engineering Department (EN) that provides engineering competencies, infrastructure systems, and technical coordination for the world's largest particle accelerator complex and its experimental facilities.
The Cooling & Ventilation Group (CV), responsible for designing, constructing, maintaining, and operating cooling, ventilation and air conditioning systems and large scale fluid distribution systems for the whole Laboratory, particularly in accelerators' and Experiments' underground areas.
The Project Section (PJ) within the CV Group, in charge of the design, tendering and work phases of CV installations as well as feasibility studies for new plants - the size of these plants can range from small systems up to large-scale structures of several MW.
You will benefit from:
The opportunity to broaden your knowledge and experience into new areas and discover a domain where excellence is the key driving factor.
Specific training and support for professional development to foster your skills and develop your talents.
As Ventilation Engineer, you will:
- Carry-out feasibility studies or detailed design studies for ventilation and air conditioning systems including sizing and cost estimates for the proposed solutions.
- Follow up the progress of the project and regularly report on issues, schedule and costs, throughout all the phases from installation to the commissioning and the formal reception of the works.
- Manage the contract tendering and participate to the adjudication process.
- Ensure technical coordination and supervision of contractors in charge of the works.
- Draw up technical specifications and all the relevant documents needed for the adjudication of the works for external contractors.
- Write up technical reports and notes
- Participate to the commissioning of the system.
- Support the Operation Section in the troubleshooting and process improvement of existing plants.
Master's degree in the field of mechanical engineering, preferably with a specialisation in industrial ventilation and hydraulics installations or equivalent.
The experience required for this post are:
- Demonstrated experience in the design, construction and test of large-size ventilation installations and their related hydraulic components including experience in selecting related equipment and instrumentation.
- Experience in design, construction and test of ventilation systems for nuclear installations would be an asset.
- Experience in management of complex, multidisciplinary projects.
The technical competencies required for this post are:
- Design of distribution and air treatment plants: including ancillary hydraulic systems..
- Installation of distribution and air treatment plants: including testing.
- HVAC process and regulation.
- Project management.
- Design of compressed air production and distribution plants.
The following competencies would be definite assets:
- Design of cooling plants.
- Knowledge of quality management.
- Knowledge of low voltage network and switchboards
The behavioural competencies required for this post are:
- Communicating effectively: ensuring that information, procedures and decisions are appropriately documented; utilising effective negotiation techniques to achieve long-term results acceptable to all parties involved.
- Working in teams: building and maintaining constructive and effective work relationships.
- Managing self: working well autonomously; taking on activities and tasks without prompting.
- Demonstrating flexibility: readily accepting new tasks or work/projects; adapting quickly and resourcefully to shifting priorities and requirements.
- Achieving results: driving work / projects along and seeing them through to their conclusion.
The language competencies required are:
Spoken and written English or French: ability to understand and speak the other language in professional contexts.
Ability to draw up engineering documents and technical specifications, and to prepare and make oral presentations in English.
Employing a diverse and international workforce is a CERN core value and central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States irrespective of gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, race, religion or personal situation.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 27.11.2016.
By applying here, you allow CERN to consider your application for any position it considers relevant with respect to your profile. Please ensure you update your profile regularly with any relevant information and that you inform the recruitment service if you wish your file to be removed from the database.
We offer a limited-duration contract for a period of 5 years. Limited-duration contracts shall terminate by default on their date of expiry.
Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Shift work, including nights, Sundays and public holidays.
- Participation in a regular stand-by duty, including nights, Sundays and public holidays.
- Work during nights, Sundays and public holidays.
- Work in radiation areas.
- Interventions in underground installations.
- A valid driving licence.