Are you an environmental engineer, experienced in environmental prevention and monitoring, familiar with regulatory and technical requirements associated to various environmental domains such as air-water-soil-waste and usage of chemical agents? Join the Environment Services section and contribute with your skills to promote environmental prevention towards the Organization in the frame of new projects and existing activities carried out at CERN. Take part!
Occupational Health & Safety and Environmental Protection Unit (HSE), Safety Engineering and Environment Group (SEE), Environment Services Section (EN).
You will join:
- The Occupational Health & Safety and Environmental Protection Unit (HSE), which supports the Organization in the implementation and enforcement of its safety policy, monitors the implementation and accomplishment of Safety objectives aimed at a continuous improvement of safe working and operating conditions as well as environmental protection and grants safety clearance on behalf of the Director-General for special equipment, installations, experiments and projects with major Safety implications.
- The Safety Engineering and Environment Group (SEE), which offers Safety support services such as engineering expertise, accidents/incidents follow-up, or independent control adapted to the needs of the CERN Departments with the aim of enhancing prevention and ensuring that all Safety aspects are integrated from the earliest stage of any project and that best Safety practices are shared, harmonized and disseminated.
- The Environment Services Section (EN), that is in charge to monitor and assess the impact of the Organization activities on the local environment, to report the results to the CERN Management, Host Sates Authorities and the public, to raise awareness on environmental protection issues, to provide support in the protection of the public and the environment against ionizing radiation as well as conventional environmental issues.
As Environmental Engineer, you will actively contribute to support CERN in limiting its impact on the environment and assist CERN Departments for projects and existing activities in the implementation of environmental protection measures.
This will involve:
- Analysing and integrating applicable environmental requirements for projects and existing activities carried out at CERN.
- Technically coordinating specific environmental studies that are launched in the frame of projects and existing activities.
- Issuing technical reports following site visits or particular environmental investigations.
- Building synergies and work with other CERN Units contributing to environmental protection at CERN.
- Participating in the coordination and follow-up of environmental incidents.
- Participating in working groups dedicated to environmental protection at CERN.
- Participating in the process of granting and following-up environmental indicators established within the Organization.
- Mentoring colleagues in the Environment Services section, working in the same field of activity.
Master's degree in the field of environment or equivalent.
The experience required for this post are:
- Proven experience in handling environmental issues such as accounting the emissions of greenhouse gases, the structure and requirements for the operation of sewer systems, the prevention and depollution of contaminated soils, the requirements for the handling and storage of chemical agents, including hazardous waste.
- Experience in environmental monitoring systems, especially for effluent water and interpretation of results of measurements.
- Experience with environmental regulations, in particular regarding air-water-soil protection, the usage of chemical agents and major accident hazard in industrial facilities.
- Experience in processing data through Geographical Information System (GIS) applications.
The following experience would be an asset:
- Experience in Occupational Health and Safety issues regarding technical projects.
- Environmental management practices within industrial facilities.
The technical competencies required for this post are:
- Environmental protection:prevention and protection measures, monitoring techniques and management practices.
- Safety risk management:focused on environment.
- Safety conformity assessment:focused on environment.
The behavioural competencies required for this post are:
- Solving problems: identifying, defining and assessing problems, taking action to address them; assimilating large quantities of information, identifying key issues and formulating conclusions clearly and concisely.
- Learning and sharing knowledge: sharing knowledge and expertise freely and willingly with others; coaching others to ensure knowledge transfer.
- Working in teams: building and maintaining constructive and effective work relationships; debating at the table and engaging in constructive confrontation of ideas; gaining trust and collaboration from others.
- Demonstrating flexibility: adapting quickly and resourcefully to shifting priorities and requirements; demonstrating a willingness to accept changing circumstances; supporting initiatives for change.
- Communicating effectively:expressing opinions, ideas and suggestions with conviction and in a logical/structured manner; keeping to the point; delivering presentations in a structured and clear way; adjusting style and content to the audience; responding calmly and confidently to questions.
The language competencies required are:
- Spoken and written English and French: ability to understand and speak both languages in professional contexts.
Employing a diverse and international workforce is a CERN core value and central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States irrespective of gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, race, religion or personal situation.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 22.11.2016.
By applying here, you allow CERN to consider your application for any position it considers relevant with respect to your profile. Please ensure you update your profile regularly with any relevant information and that you inform the recruitment service if you wish your file to be removed from the database.
We offer a limited-duration contract for a period of 5 years. Limited-duration contracts shall terminate by default on their date of expiry.
Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Work in radiation areas.
- Interventions in underground installations.
- A valid driving licence.
- Stand-by duty, when required by the needs of the Organization.
- Work during nights, Sundays and official holidays, when required by the needs of the Organization.