Mechanical / Thermo Mechanical Engineer
It's big, it's loud, it's cold, and it's a challenging and an exciting place to work! Come and join the project team of the LHC cryogenic facilities, a unique opportunity to work on machines that constitute nearly half the world's stock of large helium liquefiers. CERN, Take Part!
Mechanical/Thermo Mechanical engineer in the Technology Department (TE), Cryogenics Group (TE-CRG), Mechanical and Engineering Support (TE-CRG-ME).
At CERN, helium needs to flow like water from a tap. CERN is the world's largest particle physics laboratory and its flagship accelerator, the Large Hadron Collider, depends on having an unrivalled set of cryogenic systems on hand to guarantee reliable operation. To sustain and extend its discovery potential, the LHC will need a major upgrade in the 2020s, known as High Luminosity LHC (HL-LHC). New large scale cryogenic infrastructure interfacing with existing machines and cryogenic distribution lines will be required.
The Cryogenics (TE-CRG) Group is in charge of the design, construction, commissioning and operation of the cryogenic systems for CERN accelerators and detectors, of the operation, maintenance and upgrade of cryogenic test facilities as well as of the management of the industrial support contract for maintenance and operation of cryogenic systems. It also provides support for low-temperature developments and tests at the Central Cryogenic Laboratory as well as consultancy and support in cryogenic design and cryogenic instrumentation.
For more information on the HL-LHC project, please consult: http://hilumilhc.web.cern.ch/
As a member of the Cryogenics group, you will:
- Perform functional analysis of the cryogenic process to fulfil users' requirements
- Carry out thermo-mechanical and thermo-hydraulic design and analysis of cryogenic equipment.
- Draw-up technical specifications of cryogenic components and systems (refrigerators, distribution systems).
- Take responsibility for project management and quality control.
- Carry out market surveys, material procurement and production follow-up.
- Supervise teams on the design, construction, assembly, installation, testing and commissioning of cryogenic equipment.
- Manage the associated technical documentation for the Quality Assurance Plan.
The work requires collaboration with persons and services inside and outside the Organization.
Master's degree or PhD in the field of Applied physics, Thermodynamics, Mechanics or Process engineering, or equivalent.
The experience required for this post is:
- Demonstrated experience in the design of industrial processes and/or in the field of commissioning of complex electromechanical plants.
- Demonstrated experience in project management and/or international partnership.
- Experience in dealing with complex industrial processes, involving cryogenics or vacuum technologies, would be a major asset.
The technical competencies required for this post are:
- Knowledge of thermodynamics: cooling process and regulation, heat transfer and fluid dynamics.
- Thermo-mechanical design: thermo-mechanical analysis; rotating machinery.
- Project management: manufacturing, commissioning.
The behavioural competencies required for this post are:
- Learning and sharing knowledge: sharing knowledge and expertise freely and willingly with others; coaching others to ensure knowledge transfer.
- Solving problems: assimilating large quantities of information, identifying key issues and formulating conclusions clearly and concisely; identifying, defining and assessing problems, taking action to address them.
- Managing self: working well autonomously; taking on activities and tasks without prompting; remaining objective, focussed and productive in a stressful environment; focusing on solutions rather than problems.
- Working in teams: working well in groups and readily fitting into a team; participating fully and taking an active role in team activities; cooperating constructively with others in the pursuit of team goals; balancing personal goals with team goals.
- Achieving results: delivering prompt and efficient service taking into account customer needs.
The language competencies required are:
- English or French: spoken and written, with the ability to draw-up technical specifications and/or scientific reports, and/or to make oral presentations. The ability to understand and speak the other language in professional contexts would be an advantage.
Employing a diverse and international workforce is a CERN core value and central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States irrespective of gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, race, religion or personal situation.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 04.01.2017.
By applying here, you allow CERN to consider your application for any position it considers relevant with respect to your profile. Please ensure you update your profile regularly with any relevant information and that you inform the recruitment service if you wish your file to be removed from the database.
We offer a limited-duration contract for a period of 5 years. Limited-duration contracts shall terminate by default on their date of expiry.
Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require :
- Work in Radiation Areas.
- Interventions in underground installations.
- A valid driving licence is required.
- Shift work, when required by the needs of the Organization.
- Stand-by duty, when required by the needs of the Organization.
- Work during nights, Sundays and official holidays, when required by the needs of the Organization.