Computing Engineer (Storage Developer / Engineer)
Where the term "Big data" takes on a meaning of its own: Make your contribution to the development of our distributed physics data management systems comprising hundreds of Petabytes - at the birthplace of the world wide web! Join CERN's Storage Group as a storage specialist for a unique challenge as the next step in your career. CERN, take part!
Computing Engineer in the Information Technologies Departement (IT), Storage Group (ST), Analysis and Design Section. (IT-ST-AS).
The Storage Group (ST) within CERN's IT Department ensures a coherent development and operation of storage services at CERN for all aspects of physics data. A key responsibility of the Group is the development of data storage and data management solutions, which are mission critical for the LHC program but also most other science activities at CERN and the word-wide LHC grid.
The EOS storage system developed by the group serves today more 80 PB of data to the community of analyzing scientists from most CERN experiment. The system increasingly also takes over additional task such as serving as a backend for cloud storage and providing home directories to CERN users.
The successful candidate will join the Analysis and Design (AD) section of ST group that develops storage and data management solutions for use at CERN and in the LHC computing grid and participates actively in the XROOT project.
As a member of the IT Storage Group, the successful candidate will:
- Participate in the design, development, maintenance and optimization of the various data and storage management products of the group.
- Contribute actively the product documentation and testing infrastructure maintained by the development team.
- Contribute actively to in service design discussions with software deployment teams in ST group and teams at collaborating sites deploying the groups data management solutions.
- Participate actively in strategic development collaborations of the group such as the XROOT project and the development collaboration as part of openlab projects.
- Interact with end-users as part of the level-4 support provided by the ST development team.
Master's degree or PhD or equivalent relevant experience, in the field of Information Technologies or a related field.
The candidate should have knowledge and practical experience in the following areas:
- Excellent object-oriented design, development skills in C/C++.
- Excellent understanding of system level disk and network I/O and multi-threading concepts.
- Practical understanding of the Linux operating system administration.
- Practical experience and in depth skills in UNIX shell script, Perl or Python programming.
In addition, knowledge of one or more of the following areas would be an asset, but are not mandatory:
- Large disk storage systems and/or global filesystems (GPFS, HDFS, AFS).
- Distributed content delivery systems.
- Experience with development of stable multi-threaded services.
- Experience with FUSE as file system integration technology.
The technical competencies required for this post are:
- Programming/Software development: solid knowledge of the linux operating system environment; design, creation, testing using C++, C and Python.
- Application support: application maintenance and support services investigating and resolving issues and providing information about the systems.
- User relationship management: ability to liaise effectively with both users and other teams providing it services; systems integration/installation/decommissioning.
- Change management: configuration management, release management.
The behavioural competencies required for this post are:
- Solving problems: addressing complex problems by breaking them down into manageable components.
- Demonstrating flexibility: being willing to work on different projects simultaneously; readily accepting new tasks or work/projects.
- Working in teams: cooperating constructively with others in the pursuit of team goals; balancing personal goals with team goals.
- Achieving results: having a structured and organised approach towards work; being able to set priorities and plan tasks with results in mind; driving work/projects along and seeing them through to their conclusion; delivering prompt and efficient service taking into account customer needs.
The language competencies required are:
- Spoken and written English: ability to draw-up technical specifications documentation and/or scientific reports. Basic knowledge of French or an undertaking to acquire it rapidly.
Employing a diverse and international workforce is a CERN core value and central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States irrespective of gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, race, religion or personal situation.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 30.11.2016.
By applying here, you allow CERN to consider your application for any position it considers relevant with respect to your profile. Please ensure you update your profile regularly with any relevant information and that you inform the recruitment service if you wish your file to be removed from the database.
We offer a limited-duration contract for a period of 5 years. Limited-duration contracts shall terminate by default on their date of expiry.
Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Stand-by duty, when required by the needs of the Organization.
- Work during nights, Sundays and official holidays, when required by the needs of the Organization.