Operations Engineer (Cooling Ventilation)
Are you an experienced operations engineer, specialised in ventilation and cooling industrial plants? Contribute your skills and experience to the operation and maintenance of complex large-scale installations in a unique environment hosting some of the world's most complex technical plants. Take part!
Operations Engineer (Cooling and Ventilation) in the EN Department (EN), Cooling and Ventilation Group (CV), Operation cooling section (OP).
You will join:
- The Engineering Department (EN) that provides engineering competencies, infrastructure systems and technical coordination for the world's largest particle accelerator complex and its experimental facilities.
- The Cooling and Ventilation Group (CV), responsible for designing, constructing, maintaining, and operating cooling, ventilation and air conditioning systems and large scale fluid distribution systems for the whole Laboratory, particularly in the underground areas of the accelerators and experiments.
- The Operation Cooling Section (OP) within the CV Group, in charge of the operation and maintenance of cooling and ventilation installations.
You will benefit from:
- The opportunity to broaden your knowledge and experience in new areas and discover a domain where excellence is the key driving factor.
- Specific training and support for professional development to foster your skills and develop your talents.
As an Operation Engineer in the Operations Section, you will be in charge of the operation & maintenance and modification of the existing cooling and ventilation installations in the accelerator complex.
- Monitor and operate installations under the responsibility of the CV Group (cooling plants, air-conditioning systems, water pumping stations, compressed air, chilled water production units and networks).
- Analyse performance and optimize working parameters with respect to operational needs.
- Supervise and coordinate the CERN unit in charge of the operation and maintenance of an accelerator complex within the allocated budget.
- Define the maintenance and operation plan following the operation schedule of the accelerators.
- Analyse data and information pertaining to maintenance (via CMM software and by inspections on site).
- Ensure technical coordination of the work of contractors in charge of the maintenance and installation work, in compliance with contractual clauses and technical standards.
- Set priorities, plan and validate technically the repair or maintenance interventions to be performed on equipment under your responsibility.
- Report periodically on activities, schedules, costs or other issues.
- Propose and define the best possible responses to users' requests and, in collaboration with the personnel of the CV Group, determine appropriate technical solutions for modifications and renovation work.
- Provide support for interventions on cooling and ventilation installations in other accelerator complexes when required.
- Ensure that the technical documentation is kept up-to-date and compliant with the quality standards, and provide relevant information to appropriate services accordingly.
- Ensure the respect of safety rules and conditions for all interventions.
Master's degree in the field of Mechanical Engineering, preferably with a specialisation in industrial hydraulics installations or equivalent.
The experience required for this post is:
- Extensive experience in the maintenance, operation and installation work of cooling and ventilation plants.
- Proven experience in relations and technical coordination of external companies and contractors.
- Experience in the use of CMM tools (Infor EAM) and office software work packages (Microsoft Office).
- Experience in management and supervision of a team would be an asset.
The technical competencies required for this post are:
- Maintenance and operation of water cooling plants: industrial ventilations, distribution network, compressed air production and distribution plants.
- Organisation, planning and control: coordination of activities involving different technical fields (electricity, mechanical work, heavy handling etc.).
- Contract management.
- Cooling process and regulation: and/or hvac process and regulation.
- Knowledge of LV network and switchboards.
- Knowledge of control system and process automation.
The behavioural competencies required for this post are:
- Managing self: working well autonomously; taking on activities and tasks without prompting.
- Demonstrating flexibility: readily accepting new tasks or work/projects; Adapting quickly and resourcefully to shifting priorities and requirements.
- Working in teams: building and maintaining constructive and effective work relationships.
- Optimising resources: effectively managing budget, optimizing human and financial resources.
- Achieving results: driving work / projects along and seeing them through to their conclusion.
The language competencies required are:
- Spoken and written English or French: ability to understand and speak one of the two languages in a professional context. Undertaking to acquire the other language rapidly.
- Ability to write technical specifications, reports, documentation and to make presentations in English.
Employing a diverse and international workforce is a CERN core value and central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States irrespective of gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, race, religion or personal situation.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 15.01.2017.
By applying here, you allow CERN to consider your application for any position it considers relevant with respect to your profile. Please ensure you update your profile regularly with any relevant information and that you inform the recruitment service if you wish your file to be removed from the database.
We offer a limited-duration contract for a period of 5 years. Limited-duration contracts shall terminate by default on their date of expiry.
Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Participation in a regular stand-by duty, including nights, Sundays and public holidays.
- Work in Radiation Areas.
- Interventions in underground installations.
- A valid driving licence.
- Shift work, when required by the needs of the Organization.