Software Development Engineer
Are you an experienced software developer? If team work appeals to you, join a group of developers, CAD and PLM experts and contribute to the design and development of CAD and PLM applications. Take part!
Software Development Engineer in the Alignment Coordination and Engineering Group (ACE), Computer Aided Engineering Section (CAE).
You will join:
- The Engineering Department (EN) that provides engineering competences, infrastructure systems and technical coordination for the world's largest particle accelerator complex and its experimental facilities.
- The Alignment Coordination and Engineering Group (ACE) which provides development and support for the Organization's engineering data, CAD systems and maintenance management tools. The group further provides project coordination for the accelerator complex, including layout management, integration, scheduling, work and safety coordination as well as metrology and alignment services.
- The Computer Aided Engineering Section (CAE), which provides mechanical CAD software and corresponding data management system plus dedicated tools for the CERN design and engineering community.
CERN'S official mechanical CAD tool is CATIA V5 with the Enovia SmarTeam Product Data Management system (PDM). CATIA V5 is a powerful 3D CAD tool that in addition to mechanical design, provides a large number of trade-specific software modules such as structure design, piping, sheet metal design and digital mock-up. Both CATIA V5 and SmarTeam will be superseded in the near future and new tools and architecture will need to be put in place by the team in the coming years.
As Software Development Engineer, you will join the team of CAD and PLM experts in the CERN CAD Service to:
- Participate in technical applications design, development and maintenance around the CAD and PLM tools. Typical application areas include; CAD Data Management, CAD and viewer automation, lifecycles, engineering related processes and configuration management, automated workflows, integration with other systems, tools to enhance data exchange in worldwide design collaborations.
- Assist CAD and PLM experts to formulate and implement applications requirements specifications, develop high level data and process model, design specifications, and test- and user- documentation.
- Design, develop and maintain utilizing object oriented, web-based, and RDBMS technology. The development languages and techniques include VB .NET, Java, SQL, HTML and other web technologies. It also includes using the languages of the application programming interfaces (APIs) of the commercial tools.
- Perform software code analysis, programming, software review, testing, delivery, and support.
- Take responsibility for system monitoring and general system management including deploying upgrades and patches, diagnosing and resolving operational problems.
- Learn and understand the use cases related to the developments, in particular the context of the mechanical CAD software and data management system at CERN.
Master's degree in the field of of software engineering, computer science, or equivalent.
The experience required for this post is:
- Demonstrated experience in design, development, deployment and maintenance of complex systems, specifically in the domain of developing windows client applications, web applications and integration via web services.
- Experience with providing user support, as well as technical support in operation, configuration and troubleshooting of applications developed in-house or purchased from a vendor is desired.
- Experience with CAD tools, PLM systems or mechanical engineering in general is an asset.
The technical competencies required for this post are:
- Programming/Software development: creation, testing and documenting of new and amended programs; software development processes and techniques.
- Solution architecture: design and development of complex software solutions.
- Application support: system maintenance, performance monitoring and user support.
The behavioural competencies required for this post are:
- Solving problems: identifying, defining and assessing problems, taking action to address them.
- Building relationships: being able to put self in the shoes of others in order to understand their needs and interests.
- Demonstrating flexibility: actively participating in the implementation of new processes and technologies.
- Learning and sharing knowledge: sharing knowledge and expertise freely and willingly with others; coaching others to ensure knowledge transfer.
The language competencies required are:
- English: spoken and written, with the ability to draw-up technical specifications and/or scientific reports, and to make oral presentations. Basic knowledge of French or an undertaking to acquire it rapidly.
Employing a diverse and international workforce is a CERN core value and central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States irrespective of gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, race, religion or personal situation.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 18.01.2017.
By applying here, you allow CERN to consider your application for any position it considers relevant with respect to your profile. Please ensure you update your profile regularly with any relevant information and that you inform the recruitment service if you wish your file to be removed from the database.
We offer a limited-duration contract for a period of 5 years. Limited-duration contracts shall terminate by default on their date of expiry.
Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
This function requires :
- Work during nights, Sundays and official holidays, when required by the needs of the Organization.