Software Engineer (Web Applications)
Take an active role in development and service management, joining a dynamic team using cutting edge technologies, for an open-source in-house-developed software used by tens of thousands of users every day all around the world. Work at the heart of the collaboration strategy of the largest particle physics lab in the world: CERN. Take part!
Software Engineer (Web Applications) in the Information Technology Department, Collaboration, Devices & Applications Group, Integrated Collaboration Section.
You will join:
- The Information Technology (IT) Department which provides computing services for all aspects of the laboratory's activities. These require a wide range of technologies and skills including the provision of computing facilities, local and wide area networking, platforms for computing environments, software development, databases, desktop environments and a wide range of system integration and management tasks. More information on the Department is at: http://cern.ch/it-dep.
- The Collaboration, Devices and Applications (CDA) group which provides information services such as video conferencing, webcast, Indico, E-Publishing, the CERN Document Server, the Multimedia server, the CERN Bulletin application, printing, Mail, Web content and authentication, on a range of devices such as desktops, laptops, tablets, smartphones.
- The Integrated Collaboration (IC) Section which supports the site-wide conference and collaboration infrastructure and specifically in the team responsible for development and support of the Indico event management software. Indico is a web application that helps CERN users organize and manage their meetings, seminars and conferences. It is written in Python, based on the Flask web micro-framework and uses a PostgreSQL data store. It currently hosts more than 455,000 events and constitutes CERN's collaborative hub, providing tools that assist conference organizers throughout the whole event lifecycle from the booking of the physical room and videoconferencing resources to the organization of call for abstracts, registration, paper reviewing and archival of event documents.
As Software Engineer in the IC section, you will be involved in:
- The consolidation of the Indico application and the development of new modules and functionalities for its users.
- The configuration, deployment and maintenance activities of the Indico service at CERN.
- Providing user support to Indico users, including user training sessions.
- The management of external code contributions following an Open Source development model.
- Possibly supervising short-term team members.
Master's degree in the field of Computer Science or related field, or equivalent.
The experience required for this post is:
- Demonstrated experience in the development of large software projects, preferably for the web, involving. design and development of user interfaces, web application back-ends and database schema management.
- Experience with user relations, user support, user training, user requirements definition.
- Experience in service deployment, configuration management and operation.
The technical competencies required for this post are:
- Use of Database software packages: extensive experience with database management systems (postgresql in particular) and object-relational mapping libraries (e.g. sqlalchemy).
- Configuration management: experience building and maintaining configuration templates and parameters; knowledge of container-based technologies is also a plus.
- Usability requirements analysis: knowledge of user experience and usability practices experience with web ui technologies and toolkits such as sass or materialize is a plus.
- Requirements definition and management.
The behavioural competencies required for this post are:
- Achieving results: delivering high quality work on time and fulfilling expectations; Delivering prompt and efficient service taking into account customer needs.
- Solving problems: identifying, defining and assessing problems, taking action to address them; testing solutions for long-term suitability, cross-checking with all concerned before implementation.
- Working in teams: contributing to promoting a positive atmosphere in the team through an optimistic and constructive attitude; addressing issues.
- Communicating effectively: delivering presentations in a structured and clear way; adjusting style and content to the audience; responding calmly and confidently to questions.
- Learning and sharing knowledge: sharing knowledge and expertise freely and willingly with others; coaching others to ensure knowledge transfer.
The language competencies required are:
- Good knowledge of English is required; basic knowledge of French or an undertaking to acquire it rapidly.
Employing a diverse and international workforce is a CERN core value and central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States irrespective of gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, race, religion or personal situation.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 31.01.2017.
By applying here, you allow CERN to consider your application for any position it considers relevant with respect to your profile. Please ensure you update your profile regularly with any relevant information and that you inform the recruitment service if you wish your file to be removed from the database.
We offer a limited-duration contract for a period of 5 years. Limited-duration contracts shall terminate by default on their date of expiry.
Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require :
- Stand-by duty, when required by the needs of the Organization.
- Work during nights, Sundays and official holidays, when required by the needs of the Organization.