Electron Beam Welding Engineer
Are you interested in being involved in the whole lifecycle of mechanical fabrication of components for CERN's particle accelerators? Come test yourself against a diverse range of technologies, serving as the link between physics and mechanical fabrication. Take Part!
Electron Beam Welding Engineer in the Engineering Department (EN), Mechanical and Materials Engineering Group (MME), Forming and Welding Section (FW).
You will join:
- The Engineering Department (EN) that provides engineering competencies, infrastructure systems, and technical coordination for the world's largest particle accelerator complex and its experimental facilities;
- The Mechanical & Material Engineering Group (MME) that provides specific engineering solutions for CERN, combining mechanical design, fabrication facilities, and material science support;
- The Forming & Welding Section (FW) that provides expertise and support in the field of metal forming and assembly technologies, undertakes the fabrication of prototypes or small series using a wide range of in-house technologies and realizes various development studies.
As an Electron Beam Welding Engineer in the FW Section, you will focus on the Electron Beam Welding technology in the fabrication of components for the CERN accelerators' complex.
- Join a team of highly qualified technicians and engineers in Electron Beam Welding (EBW);
- Personally perform welding operations on different state-of-the art EBW equipment for the fabrication of highly technical prototypes and components of accelerators and experimental facilities;
- Supervise EBW processes and provide technical support to the EBW team (training and welding developments);
- Be the main technical interface with users for welding related aspects in design and methods; review engineering drawings and technical specifications; provide input on design, materials selection and standards/construction codes;
- Set up and follow up a quality control system for the EBW activity (welding procedures qualification, NDT, documenting work, indicators);
- Estimate production schedules to provide information for management decisions; be in charge of the fabrication planning for the EBW activities;
- Participate in multidisciplinary projects, maintain close co-operation with the other Mechanical Engineering facilities CERN wide, be the Technical Responsible person for projects;
- Establish a network and maintain contacts with specialised laboratories / firms worldwide;
- Prepare technical reports and presentations.
Master's degree in the field of material science / mechanical engineering, or equivalent, and in addition an International Welding Engineer diploma (IWE).
The experience required for this post is:
- Extensive experience as an electron beam welding engineer within a manufacturing environment;
- Extensive experience in other joining technologies such as laser welding, vacuum brazing, arc welding;
- Demonstrated experience in the fabrication of cryogenic, radiofrequency, ultra-high vacuum and pressure equipment.
The technical competencies required for this post are:
- Manufacturing, fabrication technology and processes: personally operate EBW equipment for relevant applications;
- Knowledge of metallic materials properties: in-depth knowledge of material science;
- Welding: in-depth knowledge of welding standards, design and construction codes for pressure vessel (European and ASME);
- Precision assembly and construction: good knowledge and practical experience of high-precision mechanical engineering;
- 3D and 2D technical drawing: ability to read/interpret technical drawings and ISO tolerancing (dimensional and geometrical product specification standards), ability to draft technical drawings.
The behavioural competencies required for this post are:
- Working in the interest of the Organization: behaving consistently with CERN's values and goals; demonstrating motivation for own work, being enthusiastic, involved and energetic in pursuing tasks;
- Managing self: working well autonomously; taking on activities and tasks without prompting; taking initiative beyond regular tasks and making things happen; remaining objective, focussed and productive in a stressful environment; focusing on solutions rather than problems;
- Achieving results: delivering high quality work on time and fulfilling expectations; being rigorous and producing quality results at first attempt; having a structured and organised approach towards work; being able to set priorities and plan tasks with results in mind;
- Communicating effectively: expressing opinions, ideas and suggestions with conviction and in a logical/structured manner; keeping to the point; ensuring that information, procedures and decisions are appropriately documented;
- Learning and sharing knowledge: keeping up-to-date with developments in own field of expertise and readily absorbing new information; sharing knowledge and expertise freely and willingly with others; coaching others to ensure knowledge transfer; creating or participating in forums to exchange experience, comparing techniques and learn from others.
The language competencies required are:
- Spoken and written English or French; ability to understand and speak the other language in professional contexts;
- Ability to draw-up technical specifications and/or scientific reports and to make oral presentations in at least one of the two languages.
Employing a diverse and international workforce is a CERN core value and central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States irrespective of gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, race, religion or personal situation.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 14.02.2017.
By applying here, you allow CERN to consider your application for any position it considers relevant with respect to your profile. Please ensure you update your profile regularly with any relevant information and that you inform the recruitment service if you wish your file to be removed from the database.
We offer a limited-duration contract for a period of 5 years. Limited-duration contracts shall terminate by default on their date of expiry. Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Shift work, when required by the needs of the Organization;
- Work during nights, Sundays and official holidays, when required by the needs of the Organization.