Quality Process Mechanical Engineer
Would you like to have the opportunity to get involved in the whole lifecycle of mechanical production of components and prototypes for CERN's particle accelerators? Come test yourself against a diverse range of production technologies, including high precision CNC machining, complex sheet metal forming and welding. Put your experience in development and organization of production operations at the service of science. Take Part!
Quality & Process Mechanical Engineer in the Engineering Department (EN-dept), Mechanical and Materials Engineering Group (MME-group), Fabrication Methods and Subcontracting Section (FS-section).
You will join:
- The Engineering Department (EN) that provides engineering competencies, infrastructure systems and technical coordination for the world's largest particle accelerator complex and its experimental facilities;
- The Mechanical & Material Engineering Group (MME) that provides specific engineering solutions for CERN, combining mechanical design, in-house and external fabrication facilities and material sciences support;
- The Fabrication Methods & Subcontracting Section (FS), in charge of fabrication engineering, work preparation and planning as well as external fabrication through subcontracting via world-wide industrial partners. Complex and diverse equipment for accelerators and detectors like beam intercepting devices, RF Cavities, superconducting magnets, UHV components, pressure vessels, special lifting equipment and support structures are just few examples among the wide-ranging production.
As a Quality & Process Mechanical Engineer in the Fabrication Methods & Subcontracting Section your main goal is to ensure continuous improvement of fabrication processes dealing with more than 2,000 fabrication jobs per year. You focus on developing and improving quality processes and organizational policies, you judge the impact of process changes, suggest improvements of the overall quality performance and you feel responsible for taking the organization to a higher level.
- In a first stage:
- Develop and implement a lean method for measuring the internal fabrication processes in the EN-MME workshop;
- Identify and implement effective tools for scheduling all the fabrication activities;
- Support the fabrication engineering team and the workshop foremen in managing workload planning and forecasts.
- In the medium term:
- Develop and implement a successful workflow between the EN-MME design office and the mechanical workshop;
- Identify and implement the use of specific software (Manufacturing Resource Planning MRP2, Product Lifetime Management PLM, Enterprise Resource Planning ERP) to support fabrication management within the specific MME environment (devoted to a large and diversified production of complex and unique prototypes) with an integrated approach between all stakeholders;
- Once organisational process issues have been successfully addressed, organise the ISO 9001 quality certification for the EN-MME group.
- On a daily basis:
- Prepare technical and quality documentation for internal and external fabrication;
- Audit fabrication processes, propose and implement improvement actions.
Master's degree in the field of mechanical engineering (e.g. aeronautical or industrial engineering), or equivalent.
The experience required for this post is:
- Relevant experience as a Quality or Fabrication Process Engineer in mechanical industry;
- Proven experience in improving and implementing new quality and fabrication processes;
- Knowledge of PLM and ERP systems preferably applied to small/medium enterprises;
- Ability to perform statistical analysis of process through the use of trend charts, control charts, implying in-depth use of MS Excel;
- Experience with developing and documenting procedures.
The technical competencies required for this post are:
- Definition of manufacturing method, process, preparation, planning, drawing and control;
- Organisation, planning and control: experience in the use and implementation of MRP2 and ERP software for fabrication management in the field of mechanical engineering;
- Quality management: knowledge of quality management systems (in particular ISO 9001);
- Product lifecycle management: experience in the use of PLM software and in the organization and management of technical data;
- 3D & 2D technical drawing: ability to read/interpret technical drawings and ISO tolerancing (dimensional and geometrical product specification standards).
The behavioural competencies required for this post are:
- Working in teams: building and maintaining constructive and effective work relationships;
- Communicating effectively: expressing opinions, ideas and suggestions with conviction and in a logical/structured manner; keeping to the point;
- Managing self: working well autonomously; taking on activities and tasks without prompting; taking initiative beyond regular tasks and making things happen;
- Solving problems: assimilating large quantities of information, identifying key issues and formulating conclusions clearly and concisely;
- Demonstrating flexibility: adapting quickly and resourcefully to shifting priorities and requirements.
The language competencies required are:
- Spoken and written English or French: ability to understand and speak the other language in professional contexts;
- Ability to draw-up technical specifications and/or scientific reports and to make oral presentations in at least one of the two languages.
Employing a diverse and international workforce is a CERN core value and central to our success.
We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 06.08.2017.
By applying here, you allow CERN to consider your application for any position it considers relevant with respect to your profile. Please ensure you update your profile regularly with any relevant information and that you inform the recruitment service if you wish your file to be removed from the database.
We offer a limited-duration contract for a period of 5 years. Limited-duration contracts shall terminate by default on their date of expiry. Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Shift work, when required by the needs of the Organization.
- Stand-by duty, when required by the needs of the Organization.
- Work during nights, Sundays and official holidays, when required by the needs of the Organization.