Are you an experienced Electrical Engineer, specialized in medium and high voltage equipment? Contribute your skills to the maintenance, consolidation and extension of a complex electrical transmission and distribution network, dedicated to a unique laboratory hosting some of the world's most complex technical installations. Join CERN's Electrical Engineering Team. Take part!
Electrical Engineer in the Engineering Department (EN), Electrical Engineering Group (EL), Electrical Network Maintenance Section (MT).
You will join:
- The Department that provides engineering competencies, infrastructure systems, and technical coordination for the world's largest particle accelerator complex and its experimental facilities.
- The Group that is responsible for CERN's electrical transmission and distribution network from 400 kV to 400/230 V. Its main missions are to operate, maintain, extend and renovate the electrical network, make projections for CERN's electrical energy consumption and manage relations with the energy suppliers. The group is also in charge of making modifications and extensions to the network when required by new projects, with project studies, equipment procurement, installation, supervision and commissioning.
- The Section that is responsible for the management and the maintenance of the main electrical equipment making up the CERN electrical transmission and distribution network. The Section defines global strategies related to electrical equipment, manages electrical equipment procurement, organizes and carries out preventive and corrective maintenance activities, implements spare parts policies defined within the Group and manages some specific maintenance and consolidation projects and works.
As an Electrical Engineer in the Electrical Network Maintenance (MT) Section, you will manage medium and high voltage equipment, in particular medium and high voltage power transformers as well as medium voltage switchgear, throughout the whole equipment lifecycle.
For the electrical equipment you are responsible for, you will:
- Define global equipment-related strategies, in particular risk assessments, preventive and corrective maintenance strategies, consolidation strategies, spare parts policies.
- Draw up technical specifications and all tendering documents for the supply of electrical equipment and manage supply contracts.
- Develop coherent maintenance plans and define electrical equipment data to be registered in CERN's Computer aided Asset and Maintenance management database.
- Provide technical support and expertise during installation and commissioning of the electrical equipment as well as in case of corrective maintenance on this equipment.
- Establish and set up maintenance services contracts to be managed by maintenance manager(s).
- Ensure the backup of the maintenance manager(s).
- Manage and deliver specific maintenance and consolidation projects and works.
Master's degree in the field of Electrical Engineering, or equivalent.
The experience required for this post is:
- A demonstrated experience in the design, manufacturing and/or commissioning and maintenance of medium and high voltage equipment, in particular of medium and high voltage power transformers.
- A demonstrated theoretical and practical knowledge of high voltage power systems: protection, switchgear, transformers, reactive compensators and harmonics filters.
- A strong experience in the establishment of quality assurance plans, policies and procedures.
- An experience in the design, construction and commissioning of high voltage and low voltage power networks for a large industrial site would be an asset.
The technical competencies required for this post are:
- Contract management: specification and purchasing of medium and high voltage equipment.
- Commissioning, maintenance & operation of electrical distribution systems.
- Design of HV network & substations.
The behavioural competencies required for this post are:
- Managing self: working well autonomously; taking on activities and tasks without prompting; taking initiative beyond regular tasks and making things happen.
- Solving problems: assimilating large quantities of information, identifying key issues and formulating conclusions clearly and concisely.
- Achieving results: delivering high quality work on time and fulfilling expectations.
- Working in teams: building and maintaining constructive and effective work relationships.
- Communicating effectively: listening actively to others and letting others speak.
The language competencies required are:
- Spoken and written English or French: ability to understand and speak the other language in professional contexts would be an advantage.
- Ability to draw-up technical specifications and tendering documents and to make oral presentations in at least one of the two languages.
Employing a diverse and international workforce is a CERN core value and central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States irrespective of gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, race, religion or personal situation.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 21.02.2017.
By applying here, you allow CERN to consider your application for any position it considers relevant with respect to your profile. Please ensure you update your profile regularly with any relevant information and that you inform the recruitment service if you wish your file to be removed from the database.
We offer a limited-duration contract for a period of 5 years. Limited-duration contracts shall terminate by default on their date of expiry.
Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Participation in a regular stand-by duty, including nights, Sundays and public holidays.
- Work during nights, Sundays and public holidays.
- Work in Radiation Areas.
- Interventions in underground installations.
- Shift work, when required by the needs of the Organization.