Electrical Controls Engineer
Are you an Electrical Controls Engineer looking for a new challenge in the field of high and low voltage electrical network monitoring and control? Take part in the consolidation, extension and optimization of the electrical SCADA system for the supervision of the power network for the world's largest particle accelerator complex.
Engineering Department (EN), Electrical Group (EL), Electrical Network Control Section (ENC).
You will join:
- The Department that provides engineering competencies, infrastructure systems, and technical coordination for the world's largest particle accelerator complex and its experimental facilities.
- The Group that is responsible for CERN's electrical transmission and distribution network from 400 kV to 400/230 V. Its main missions are to operate, maintain, extend and renovate the electrical network, make projections for CERN's electrical energy consumption and manage relations with the energy suppliers. The group is also in charge of making modifications and extensions of the network when required by new projects, with project studies, equipment procurement, installation, supervision and commissioning.
- The Section that is responsible for the management of the CERN's electrical network supervision system. This includes the design, procurement, installation, configuration and maintenance of the necessary computing and control infrastructure required following modifications and extensions of the electrical network.
As Electrical Controls Engineer, you will:
- Coordinate the definition, implementation, testing and validation of new technical features (e.g. modules, applications or functions) for the electrical SCADA system based on the end-users' requirements, which includes the electrical operation team, control team, equipment expert, experiments, IT and the CERN Control Room operators, whilst ensuring logical continuity with already implemented features, rules or conventions.
- Specify and provide support for software development of SCADA widgets or graphical symbols based on users' needs.
- Assure the implementation and testing of any electrical network modification in the SCADA UI panels and user software programs.
- Specify user's manuals and provide trainings and support to the end-users related to the electrical SCADA UI functionalities.
- Regularly perform statistical analysis of archived data, refine archiving rules where necessary, identify faulty electrical or control equipment and put in place corrective action plans.
- Contribute to the definition of a Quality Assurance Plan for the integration of equipment in the electrical SCADA system.
Master's degree in the field of Systems and Control Engineering, Electrical Engineering or equivalent.
The experience required for this post is :
- Demonstrated experience in the management of large SCADA systems.
- Extensive experience in supervision systems for electrical distribution networks and substations.
- Experience in fieldbuses installation, configuration and troubleshooting.
- Initial experience in programming of SCADA and PLC systems.
The technical competencies required for this post are:
- Programming/Software development: languages: c, c++, java.
- Management, configuration and operation of SCADA systems.
- Installation and maintenance of fieldbus and PLC systems.
- Management and configuration of Data Acquisition systems.
- Broad knowledge of electrical distribution systems is considered an asset.
The behavioural competencies required for this post are:
- Communicating effectively: listening actively to others and letting others speak; demonstrating a pro-active approach to resolving differences; addressing issues of conflict constructively; ensuring that information, procedures and decisions are appropriately documented.
- Solving problems: recognizing what is essential; discriminating between important and peripheral information and being able to see the whole picture.
- Working in teams: contributing to promoting a positive atmosphere in the team through an optimistic and constructive attitude; addressing issues.
- Achieving Results: Having a structured and organised approach towards work; being able to set priorities and plan tasks with results in mind.
The language competencies required are:
Spoken and written English or French: ability to understand and speak the other language in professional contexts.
Ability to draw-up technical specifications and/or scientific reports and to make oral presentations in at least one of the two languages.
Employing a diverse and international workforce is a CERN core value and central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States irrespective of gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, race, religion or personal situation.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 01.03.2017.
By applying here, you allow CERN to consider your application for any position it considers relevant with respect to your profile. Please ensure you update your profile regularly with any relevant information and that you inform the recruitment service if you wish your file to be removed from the database.
We offer a limited-duration contract for a period of 5 years. Limited-duration contracts shall terminate by default on their date of expiry.
Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Participation in a regular stand-by duty, including nights, Sundays and public holidays.
- Work in Radiation areas.
- Interventions in underground installations.
- A valid driving licence.