You will be part of the Experimental Physics (EP) Department, which carries out basic research. This department aims at providing a stimulating scientific atmosphere and remains an important reference centre for the European physics community.
The selected candidate will play an important role in one or more projects of particle physics experiments at CERN, involving the conception and design of experiments, the development and operation of detectors and the analysis of data.
PhD/Doctorate in the field of Physics, or equivalent.
The experience required for this post is:
- Preferably from to 2 to 6 years of post-doctoral experience in the field of particle physics.
- Experience in data analysis, in the use of on-line or off-line software and competence in detector hardware.
The technical competencies required for this post are:
- Physics analysis.
- Experimental particle physics.
- Particle detectors and interaction of particles with matter.
The behavioural competencies required for this post are:
- Learning and sharing knowledge: keeping up-to-date with developments in own field of expertise and readily absorbing new information; thinking "out of the box" and proposing fresh ideas, insights and methodologies.
- Building relationships: relating well to all people regardless of category/level within the Organization; understanding how individual differences bring added value to the Organization; promoting complementarities.
- Working in the interests of the Organization: actively promoting safety and encouraging others to do the same; respecting safety rules and procedures; promoting synergy and cooperation between the various parts of the Organization.
The language competencies required are:
- Spoken and written English or French: ability to understand and speak the other language in professional contexts.
- Ability to draw-up technical specifications and/or scientific reports and to make oral presentations in at least one of the two languages.
Employing a diverse and international workforce is a CERN core value and central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States irrespective of gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, race, religion or personal situation.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 22.03.2017.
By applying here, you allow CERN to consider your application for any position it considers relevant with respect to your profile. Please ensure you update your profile regularly with any relevant information and that you inform the recruitment service if you wish your file to be removed from the database.
We offer a limited-duration contract for a period of 5 years. Limited-duration contracts shall terminate by default on their date of expiry. Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Work during nights, Sundays and public holidays.
- Work in radiation areas.
- Interventions in underground installations.
- A completed Application Form.
- A Curriculum Vitae.
- A list of 10 most important publications or notes indicating where you have been a principal contributor or a co-author.
- A short (half page) description of your research interests.
- Three recent letters of recommendation.