Electronics Engineering at its best in a challenging, unusual context? Are you interested in working for the biggest accelerator complex in the world, taking responsibility for design, development and support of hardware and HDL code in the control systems? If so, join the Hardware and Timing Section of CERN's Controls Group at CERN. Take Part!
HDL Developer in the Beams Department (BE), Controls Group (CO), Hardware and Timing section (HT).
In the Beams Department (BE), Controls Group (CO), Hardware and Timing section (HT) you will participate in the design of controls and data acquisition hardware within a team of electronics designers.
The Controls Group is responsible for providing and supporting the controls infrastructure used to operate the CERN accelerators 24/7.
The Hardware and Timing Section is in charge of providing hardware support and maintaining a standard set of modules that can be used to build control systems. This support includes the development and procurement of the hardware and the associated device drivers.
The section is very active in Field Programmable Gate Array (FPGA) design using Hardware Description Languages (HDL).
You will join:
The Beams Department (BE), responsible for the beam production, beam and accelerator physics, beam diagnostics, radiofrequency, controls and performance optimization for the entire CERN accelerator complex including the LHC.
The Controls Group (CO), responsible for the specification, design, procurement, integration, installation, commissioning and operation of the controls infrastructure for all CERN Accelerators, their transfer lines and the Experimental Areas.
The Hardware and Timing Section (HT), responsible for the development, production and support of most of the BE-CO custom electronic modules. It also provides know-how for the technical choice of commercial modules to suit the needs of equipment groups in the Accelerator Sector.
As HDL Developer you will:
- Take responsibility for the design, evolution and support of the HDL code (mostly VHDL) in various key components of the accelerator control system.
- Identify areas for improvement and propose solutions, including the development of new HDL and auxiliary software components, and the adoption of new technologies.
- Collaborate with controls and data acquisition teams around CERN and support them, for the integration of standard BE-CO-HT hardware and HDL solutions into complete systems.
- Take a leading role in all activities related to quality assurance for HDL components in the section, such as tools, design flow, testing, documentation, packaging and distribution.
- Participate in the operational support of all the deployed solutions in the domain of distributed controls and data acquisition hardware.
- Document and present your work as appropriate.
Master's degree in the field of electronics, or equivalent.
The experience required for this post is:
- Demonstrated experience in and extensive knowledge of programmable logic design using Hardware Description Languages, VHDL in particular.
- Demonstrated experience in automated testing and verification of complex HDL components.
- Experience in design and development of Printed Circuit Boards, including component selection, schematics entry and layout would be an advantage;
- Experience in radiation-tolerant design of electronics and techniques to measure and increase reliability would be an advantage.
The technical competencies required for this post are:
- Design of electronics based on field programmable logic-based devices (FPGA): knowledge of the Xilinx design tools would be an advantage.
- Digital circuit design, modelling and simulation.
- Programming/software development: experience in software development in C and Python. knowledge of embedded Linux and device driver development would be an advantage.
The behavioural competencies required for this post are:
- Achieving results: delivering high quality work on time and fulfilling expectations; driving work / projects along and seeing them through to their conclusion; having a structured and organised approach towards work; being able to set priorities and plan tasks with results in mind.
- Solving problems: identifying, defining and assessing problems, taking action to address them; anticipating obstacles; assessing alternative solutions in order to have a fall-back plan; producing workable and timely solutions that meet requirements.
- Communicating effectively: expressing opinions, ideas and suggestions with conviction and in a logical/structured manner; keeping to the point; listening actively to others and letting others speak; delivering presentations in a structured and clear way; adjusting style and content to the audience; responding calmly and confidently to questions.
The language competencies required are:
- Spoken and written English: ability to understand and speak English in professional contexts.
- Abilty to draw-up technical specifications and scientific reports and to make oral presentations.
- The knowledge of the French language or the willingness to acquire this rapidly would be an advantage.
Employing a diverse and international workforce is a CERN core value and central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States irrespective of gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, race, religion or personal situation.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 02.04.2017.
By applying here, you allow CERN to consider your application for any position it considers relevant with respect to your profile. Please ensure you update your profile regularly with any relevant information and that you inform the recruitment service if you wish your file to be removed from the database.
We offer a limited-duration contract for a period of 5 years. Limited-duration contracts shall terminate by default on their date of expiry. Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
This position requires:
- Stand-by duty, when required by the needs of the Organization.
- Work during nights, Sundays and official holidays, when required by the needs of the Organization.