Internal position open only for current CERN staff members holding a limited duration or an indefinite staff contract.
The Accelerator and Technology sector Unit (ATS), Directorate Office (DO) is looking for an Engineer
The ATS-DO unit encompasses the management and administrative support teams of major accelerator upgrade projects and studies (HL-LHC, CLIC, FCC), as well as teams coordinating CERN initiatives in Research and Innovation Programs for accelerators, such as ARIES.
You will be involved in the integration of complex equipment of various nature and sources to prepare the installation of the LHC upgrade: the HL-LHC project. You will take part in the preparation of the dismantling and installation strategy development, scheduling, optimization and execution. The project will concern almost all the LHC points and you will have to interface and work with infrastructures and accelerator equipment.
As member of the ATS-DO unit, you will join the HL-LHC Integration, de-installation and installation Work Package (HL-LHC WP15). The WP is in charge of centralizing, organising and managing all the activities necessary to successfully accomplish the HL-LHC integration and installation, working in strict relationship with the various CERN Departments and related groups.
In the frame of the WP15 you will directly support the WPL (Work Package Leader) in managing the work assignments in the integration team, in the development of the installation strategy and the definition of the implementations plan. You will be directly responsible for the dismantling activities.
In particular, you will:
- Take up direct responsibility for the definition of the dismantling plan in the LHC underground areas meant to host new HL-LHC equipment. This includes the definition of the intervention strategy on activated equipment and its validation by the different stakeholders.
- Take the lead for the implementation of the above-mentioned plan being present on the ground as much as necessary. This concerns both the procedure development phase and the execution phase.
- Mobilise the resources through the various involved groups and whereas necessary establish outsourcing contracts. In this frame you will foster and pursue the overall technical and procedural coherency across the project.
- Take part in the general integration effort working with the required 3D tools (CATIA, Autocad,¿) in order to check proposals coming from the HL-LHC integration team or from the integration teams of other groups involved in the HL-LHC project.
- Take part in the machine lay-out development activity.
- Take part in the general integration documentation load and support the WPL in the budget preparation and update.
- Support the WPL in the preparation of the consolidation plan necessary to ensure that the LHC machine is ready to be transformed into the HL-LHC one.
Mastrer's degree in the field of engineering or physics or equivalent.
The experience required for this post is:
- Demonstrated experience in managing a complex installation of accelerators machines and equipment.
- Demonstrated experience in the preparation of lay-out drawings (mechanical, electrical ,etc).
- Demonstrated experience in developing and optimising intervention plans and procedures involving many actors belonging to different groups and the deployment of multiple technologies.
- Experience in assembling mechanical systems needing to meet vacuum, electrical and mechanical standards for accelerator machines. This will allow you to early detect and proactively address problems.
- Experience with ALARA approach.
- Experience with competitive tenders at CERN and with accelerator machine complex components or infrastructures is an asset.
The technical competencies required for this post are:
- Organisation, planning and control: technical and organisational supervision of teams working in coactivity in limited spaces, logistic optimisation for workers and material.
- Installation & dismantling of electro-mechanical equipment: inside particle accelerators, with particular attention to the development of optimised tooling and intervention procedure for environment with activated components.
- Knowledge of quality and reliability assurance techniques and tools: in particular regarding 2d drawings, 3d models, installation procedure, integration reports .
- General know-how of accelerator machine components and related technical problematics and requirements.
The behavioural competencies required for this post are:
- Demonstrating accountability: maintaining confidentiality; Working conscientiously and reliably; delivering on promises; standing up for own opinion and actions with well substantiated arguments.
- Working in teams: working well in groups and readily fitting into a team; participating fully and taking an active role in team activities; building and maintaining constructive and effective work relationships; gaining trust and collaboration from others.
- Solving problems: identifying, defining and assessing problems, taking action to address them; finding the information needed to solve problems; making objective judgments based on all the facts available; adopting a pragmatic approach; understanding the value of adopting generic rather than `gold -plated' technical solutions.
- Learning and sharing Knowledge: sharing knowledge and expertise freely and willingly with others; coaching others to ensure knowledge transfer; actively pursuing own personal and professional development; taking steps to expand knowledge in other areas of expertise beyond own field.
- Communicating effectively: providing others with timely information; delivering presentations in a structured and clear way; adjusting style and content to the audience; responding calmly and confidently to questions; leveraging support networks across the Organization.
The language competencies required are:
- Spoken and written English and French: ability to understand and speak the other language in professional contexts.
- Ability to draw-up technical specifications and/or scientific reports and to make oral presentations in both languages.
Internal mobility opportunity open only for current CERN staff members holding a limited duration or an indefinite staff contract.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 04.04.2017.
These functions require :
- Work in radiation areas.
- Interventions in underground installations.
- A valid driving licence .
- Shift work, when required by the needs of the Organization.
- Stand-by duty, when required by the needs of the Organization.
- Work during nights, Sundays and official holidays, when required by the needs of the Organization.
For further information please contact your HRA.