Are you a skilled Science Writer? Does the idea of producing and distributing information for the largest particle physics research lab in the world attract you? Join the Education, Communications and Outreach Group and make your contribution! Take part!
Science Writer in the International Relations (IR) Sector, Education, Communication & Outreach (ECO) Group.
You will join the Editorial Content Development Section of the Education, Communications and Outreach Group. You will play a key role in CERN's print and digital publications, showcasing developments in particle physics, nuclear physics and accelerator science. You will be responsible for drafting and editing content for audiences ranging from the particle physics community to the media to the general public.
Your functions will include:
- Writing and editing content for a range of communication products including the CERN website, press releases, videos, animations, exhibition content, the CERN Courier magazine and the CERN Annual Report.
- Liaising with the CERN community and the particle-physics community around the world to gather material.
- Advising international contributors on the scientific accuracy, use of language and readability of content.
Postgraduate degree in the field of particle physics, ideally a PhD, or equivalent.
The experience required for this post is:
- Experience of working as a particle physicist in a national or international laboratory.
- Experience of journalism or scientific publishing.
- Proven track record in written science communication, ideally with several years of experience at an international level.
- Ability to transform scientific information into terms that can be understood by non-specialist audiences.
The technical competencies required for this post are:
- Science writing, scientific popularization.
- Text editing and proof-reading: scientific information and document management.
- Information content publishing.
- Project management.
The behavioural competencies required for this post are:
- Managing self: working well autonomously; taking on activities and tasks without prompting; remaining objective, focussed and productive in a stressful environment; focusing on solutions rather than problems.
- Achieving results: delivering high quality work on time and fulfilling expectations; having a structured and organised approach towards work; being able to set priorities and plan tasks with results in mind.
- Communicating effectively: delivering presentations in a structured and clear way; adjusting style and content to the audience; responding calmly and confidently to questions; checking to ensure that the message has been well understood; expressing opinions, ideas and suggestions with conviction and in a logical/structured manner; keeping to the point.
- Demonstrating flexibility: adapting quickly and resourcefully to shifting priorities and requirements; demonstrating willingness to alter views when presented with new information; being willing to work on different projects simultaneously.
- Solving problems: identifying, defining and assessing problems, taking action to address them; being open to original ideas and creative options by which to address issues; continually driving change by seeking new ways to improve outcomes; recognizing what is essential; discriminating between important and peripheral information and being able to see the whole picture.
The language competencies required are:
Excellent command of the English language, especially in writing and editing. Basic knowledge of French language or an undertaking to acquire it rapidly.
Employing a diverse and international workforce is a CERN core value and central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States irrespective of gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, race, religion or personal situation.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 17.05.2017.
By applying here, you allow CERN to consider your application for any position it considers relevant with respect to your profile. Please ensure you update your profile regularly with any relevant information and that you inform the recruitment service if you wish your file to be removed from the database.
We offer a limited-duration contract for a period of 5 years. Limited-duration contracts shall terminate by default on their date of expiry.
Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.