Translator / Minute-Writer
Do you specialise in translation from French to English? Do you have excellent English drafting skills? Then this is a great opportunity for you: place your language skills at the service of a major international organisation, CERN. Take part!
Translator / Minute-writer in the Director General Unit (DG), Translation, Minutes and Council Support group (TMC).
CERN is the world's largest particle physics research facility and its current scientific programme aims at piercing the secrets of the creation of the Universe. You can be a part of all this by joining the Translation, Minutes and Council Support group in the Director-General's unit, where you will translate from French to English a wide variety of documents, ranging from public outreach material and non-specialist articles for in-house publications and the CERN website to technical specifications, legal contracts, safety procedures and staff rules and regulations.
Your English drafting skills will also come to the fore when you write the minutes for meetings of CERN's governing bodies, where the Member States discuss key policy issues. You will also contribute actively to the standardisation of English across the Organization, as well as to the development of the TM group's computer-assisted translation (CAT) tools. You will receive support and guidance from other, more senior translators in performing all these tasks.
As a translator/minute-writer you will:
- Translate a wide range of administrative, technical and scientific documents into English, mainly from French.
- Write minutes and summary records, in English, for the meetings of CERN's governing bodies and associated working groups.
- Edit texts drafted in English by native and non-native writers.
- Contribute to standardising the English used across the Organization.
- Participate in the development of CERN's computer-assisted translation (CAT) tools.
Master's degree in the field of translation, or equivalent.
The experience required for this post is:
- A perfect mastery of English as the target language, excellent drafting skills and an in-depth knowledge of French as the main source language are essential for this position.
- Some professional experience as a translator in a staff position or in a freelance capacity.
The following would also be an advantage:
- The ability to translate from other European languages, especially German.
- Some experience of précis or minute-writing, although on-the-job training in these skills will in any case be a key component of the post.
The technical competencies required for this post are:
- Knowledge of Computer Assisted Translation tools.
- Minute writing.
- Text editing and proof-reading.
The behavioural competencies required for this post are:
- Demonstrating accountability: working conscientiously and reliably; delivering on promises.
- Managing self: working well autonomously; taking on activities and tasks without prompting.
- Achieving results: having a structured and organised approach towards work; being able to set priorities and plan tasks with results in mind.
- Working in teams: building and maintaining constructive and effective work relationships; working well in groups and readily fitting into a team; participating fully and taking an active role in team activities.
The language competencies required are:
- A perfect mastery of English as the target language and a deep knowledge of French as the main source language.
- Good knowledge of other European languages would be an asset.
Employing a diverse and international workforce is a CERN core value and central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States irrespective of gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, race, religion or personal situation.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 30.05.2017.
By applying here, you allow CERN to consider your application for any position it considers relevant with respect to your profile. Please ensure you update your profile regularly with any relevant information and that you inform the recruitment service if you wish your file to be removed from the database.
We offer a limited-duration contract for a period of 5 years. Limited-duration contracts shall terminate by default on their date of expiry. Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.