Computing Engineer (ERP Specialist)
Contribute your experience of application software, database design and commercial ERP systems to a unique environment: the birthplace of the World Wide Web. This is a great opportunity for a Computing Engineer to work at the leading edge in terms of ERP processes, with exposure to all facets of CERN as a business. CERN, take part!
Computing Engineer (ERP specialist) in the Finance and Administrative Processes Department (FAP), Administrative Information Systems Group (AIS).
You will join the FAP-AIS Group which provides and supports:
- Advanced tools for e-business and workflow in the purchasing, HR, financial, logistics and safety business areas. These tools are currently used by more than 15,000 users world-wide.
- Tools to plan and manage resources for CERN's present and future projects and activities.
- Financial & Personnel reporting tools covering budget planning, contract expenditure, distributed access to HR data and Personnel Budget Simulation.
- Tools offering classical ERP functions like Finance, Purchasing, Logistics, Import/ Export, Warehouse management, Human resources, e-recruitment and Payroll.
The AIS strategy is to provide the user communities with a unique, coherent and integrated environment for all administrative applications, tools and documentation. Virtually all functionality is today provided through Web interfaces. The different services are based on commercial off-the-shelf application packages where possible and complemented with, mainly Java-based, custom developments. All applications use the Oracle RDBMS.
As an ERP Specialist, you will work in the Finance and Procurement section which supports and develops our Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) systems for CERN's Finance, Purchasing, and Logistics services.
As a member of this team, you will be responsible for:
- Projects: playing the assigned roles in the ERP's related projects having as objective the optimization of business processes mapping and applications usage.
- Applications enhancements: collecting business requirements and mapping them to functional and technical design, as well as liaising with both technical and functional teams to ensure that integration and architecture is successful.
- User support: 3rd level support for ERP's covering the designated business areas, ensuring business continuity.
- Stay up-to-date on latest software technology trends.
Master's degree in the field of computer engineering, or equivalent.
The experience required for this post is:
- Experience in the design, implementation, maintenance, and support of business software.
- Experience of commercial ERP systems, preferably in functional consultancy area.
- Experience in database design, SQL and query optimization.
The following experience would be an advantage:
- Experience of business process modeling.
- Experience of enterprise application development tools.
- Practical experience of modern software engineering practices (Agile), with exposure to project management roles.
The technical competencies required for this post are:
- Programming/Software development: application development.
- Application support: support for the ERP users.
- Database/Repository design: when extending/customizing our current applications.
- Technical advice and guidance: working with business specialists and Computing Engineers in the selection/evaluation of technical solutions.
The behavioural competencies required for this post are:
- Achieving results: delivering high quality work on time and fulfilling expectations; delivering prompt and efficient service taking into account customer needs.
- Solving problems: producing workable and timely solutions that meet requirements; identifying, defining and assessing problems, taking action to address them; adopting a pragmatic approach; understanding the value of adopting generic rather than `gold -plated' technical solutions.
- Working in teams: building and maintaining constructive and effective work relationships; working well in groups and readily fitting into a team; participating fully and taking an active role in team activities.
- Working in the interest of the Organization: behaving consistently with CERN's values and goals.
- Learning and sharing knowledge: actively pursuing own personal and professional development; keeping up-to-date with developments in own field of expertise and readily absorbing new information; sharing knowledge and expertise freely and willingly with others; coaching others to ensure knowledge transfer.
The language competencies required are:
- Spoken and written English or French: ability to understand and speak the other language in professional contexts. Ability to draw-up technical specifications and/or scientific reports and to make oral presentations in at least one of the two languages.
Employing a diverse and international workforce is a CERN core value and central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States irrespective of gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, race, religion or personal situation.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 23.05.2017.
By applying here, you allow CERN to consider your application for any position it considers relevant with respect to your profile. Please ensure you update your profile regularly with any relevant information and that you inform the recruitment service if you wish your file to be removed from the database.
We offer a limited-duration contract for a period of 5 years. Limited-duration contracts shall terminate by default on their date of expiry.
Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
This function requires:
- Work during nights, Sundays and official holidays, when required by the needs of the Organization.