Software Development Engineer
Are you an experienced full-stack Software Development Engineer with passion for web development? Are you interested in a career in an exciting international environment, at the forefront of modern science? Then join us, and get involved in shaping the future of engineering data management tools used by thousands of users. CERN, take part!
Software Development Engineer in the Engineering Department (EN), Alignment Coordination and Engineering Group (ACE).
You will join:
- The Engineering Department (EN) that provides engineering competences, infrastructure systems and technical coordination for the world's largest particle accelerator complex and its experimental facilities.
- The Alignment Coordination and Engineering Group (ACE) which provides project coordination for the accelerator complex, including layout management, integration, scheduling, work and safety coordination as well as metrology and alignment services. The group further provides and supports software solutions for the engineering community. We develop and maintain CERN's Product Lifecycle Management system, EDMS, to manage design data and technical documentation for the entire Organization. In addition, we provide software solutions for Enterprise Asset Management as well as multi-CAD system support on a CERN-wide basis. This integrated set of tools contains information about more than 1.5 million documents and 2 million components. In total, over 3000 users depend on the software provided by the group.
As a Software Development Engineer in the Alignment Coordination and Engineering Group, you will:
- Assist experts to formulate application requirements, develop high level data and process model, design specifications, and test- and user- documentation.
- Design and develop software modules for the existing EDMS (edms.cern.ch) and future PLM platform, as well as tools facilitating Planning, Coordination, Configuration, Digital MockUp and Integration activities of the group; this involves back-end and front-end development, web interfaces design, APIs, systems integration.
- Manage operational systems: configuration, deployment, bug fixing.
- Provide user and process support: gathering of requirements, analysis of needs, process and data modelling, 3rd line support.
- Technical supervision of temporary team members.
Master's degree in the field of computer science, software engineering, or equivalent.
The experience required for this post is:
- Demonstrated experience in development and maintenance of large software projects, specifically in the domain of web applications using relational databases and integration via web services.
- Experience with providing user support, user relations and requirements definition.
- Experience in systems operation, configuration and troubleshooting.
The technical competencies required for this post are:
- Programming/Software development: advanced knowledge of Java or .NET, relational databases, SQL and stored procedures (Oracle or similar).
- Application support.
- Requirements definition and management.
- Systems installation/decommissioning: installation, testing, tuning and replacement of software systems.
- Software Engineering practices: experience in an agile environment, testing approaches, continuous deployment, as well as Git, Maven or equivalent.
- Knowledge of scripting languages such as Python or Perl would be an asset.
The behavioural competencies required for this post are:
- Achieving results: delivering high quality work on time and fulfilling expectations; delivering prompt and efficient service taking into account customer needs.
- Working in teams: contributing to promoting a positive atmosphere in the team through an optimistic and constructive attitude; addressing issues.
- Communicating effectively: delivering presentations in a structured and clear way; adjusting style and content to the audience; responding calmly and confidently to questions.
- Managing self: working well autonomously; taking on activities and tasks without prompting; taking initiative beyond regular tasks and making things happen.
The language competencies required are:
- English: spoken and written, with the ability to draw-up technical specifications and/or scientific reports, and/or to make oral presentations. The ability to understand and speak French in professional contexts would be an advantage.
Employing a diverse and international workforce is a CERN core value and central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States irrespective of gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, race, religion or personal situation.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 30.05.2017.
By applying here, you allow CERN to consider your application for any position it considers relevant with respect to your profile. Please ensure you update your profile regularly with any relevant information and that you inform the recruitment service if you wish your file to be removed from the database.
We offer a limited-duration contract for a period of 5 years. Limited-duration contracts shall terminate by default on their date of expiry. Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Stand-by duty, when required by the needs of the Organization.
- Work during nights, Sundays and official holidays, when required by the needs of the Organization.