Civil Engineering and Building Project Engineer
Are you an experienced project engineer with outstanding negotiation and organisational skills? Do you enjoy achieving high quality results? Do you like to build effective collaborations with colleagues and contractors? Make your contribution to exciting and dynamic building and civil engineering projects within the most unique particle physics laboratory in the world: CERN. Take part!
Civil engineering and Building Project Engineer in the Site Management and Building department (SMB), Site engineering group (SE), Project Office (PO) section.
- The Site Engineering Group (SE) builds and maintains the Organization's sites (two main sites and 15 satellite sites), buildings (more than 500, totalling a usable surface area of 500,000 m2) and underground structures (over 60 km of machine tunnels and service tunnels). The Group's responsibilities cover all phases of a project, from the preliminary design study to the completion of construction. The Group also remains responsible for the infrastructures throughout their life cycles.
- The Project Office (PO) Section is in charge of managing and carrying out large civil engineering projects directly related to accelerators and experiments ("machine projects"). The Project Office operates from providing support functions to project managers in the form of training, software, templates, etc., to actually being responsible for the results of projects. Around 10 people, including civil engineers and construction technicians, are employed in the section.
As Project Engineer, you will be responsible for the execution of building and civil engineering projects from the initial conceptual design to the final delivery to the end users.
- Gather requirements and manage changes with the requesting departments.
- Set up project structures with accurate human and financial resource estimates.
- Plan and coordinate the work of the project design consultants including the selection process and, the set up and management of consultant contracts.
- Plan and manage the execution of works including, the set up and coordination of contracts for the execution of works.
- Ensure, in liaison with the appropriate external consultants (architects, design offices), that all constructions comply with the contractual drawings and documents.
- Coordinate the work, ensure quality management on-site, check measurements of completed work, approve payments and make sure that costs and schedules are respected.
- Negotiate financial settlements with various external firms.
- Make sure that all safety measures are taken on the work sites in order to keep the incident rate to a minimum.
- Report on project status and activities supervised.
Master's degree in the field of civil engineering or equivalent.
The experience required for this post is:
- Demonstrated experience in managing large civil engineering and building construction projects.
- Demonstrated experience in all trades coordination at design and execution phase.
- Demonstrated experience in the call for tender and selection of firms.
The technical competencies required for this post are:
- Quality management.
- Project management.
- Underground and surface civil engineering design and construction.
- Industrial and civil building design and construction.
- Use of engineering software packages.
The behavioural competencies required for this post are:
- Managing self: taking initiative beyond regular tasks and making things happen.
- Optimising resources: realistically assessing human and financial resource needs, evaluating risks and plans accordingly; effectively managing budget, optimizing human and financial resources.
- Achieving results: having a structured and organised approach towards work; being able to set priorities and plan tasks with results in mind.
- Communicating effectively: utilising effective negotiation techniques to achieve long-term results acceptable to all parties involved.
The language competencies required are:
- Spoken and written English or French: the ability to understand and speak one of the two languages fluently in professional contexts, with the ability to draft texts and to make oral presentations, as well as a basic knowledge of the other language or an undertaking to acquire it rapidly.
Employing a diverse and international workforce is a CERN core value and central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States irrespective of gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, race, religion or personal situation.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 04.07.2017.
By applying here, you allow CERN to consider your application for any position it considers relevant with respect to your profile. Please ensure you update your profile regularly with any relevant information and that you inform the recruitment service if you wish your file to be removed from the database.
We offer a limited-duration contract for a period of 5 years. Limited-duration contracts shall terminate by default on their date of expiry.
Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Work in radiation areas.
- Interventions in underground installations.
- A valid driving licence.