Radio Frequency Engineer
Are you an experienced RF professional interested in working for the largest accelerators complex in the world? Would you like to work at the forefront of RF technology, being involved in components development projects, working along with top scientists and engineers? Our Superconducting Radio-Frequency Section is looking for a Radio Frequency Engineer to help operate the LHC superconducting RF system and to play a key role in improving RF performance of superconducting RF equipment. CERN, take part!
Radio Frequency Engineer in the Beams Department (BE), Radiofrequency group (RF), Superconducting RF (SRF) section.
You will join:
The Beams Department (BE), which hosts the Groups responsible for beam generation, acceleration, diagnostics, controls and performance optimisation.
The Radio-Frequency (RF) Group (https://be-dep-rf.web.cern.ch/) of the BE department, responsible for the operation of all RF systems to accelerate and control the particle beams in all CERN synchrotrons and linear accelerators, including projects for future accelerators and upgrades to the existing installations.
The Superconducting RF (BE-RF-SRF) Section within the RF Group, responsible for the construction, testing and operation of superconducting RF systems, components and related infrastructure.
As Radio Frequency Engineer in the SRF Section, you will be part of the team working on superconducting RF (SRF) design, construction, testing and operating high performance superconducting radiofrequency resonators and related equipment for CERN's present and future accelerators. Furthermore, you will become part of the team operating the SRF cavities in the Large Hadron Collider (LHC), CERN's flagship accelerator. The goal is to work part time on operation and part time on R&D and future projects.
As Radio Frequency Engineer in the SRF Section, your main activity will be to follow up operational issues and projects related to SRF components development, from design to commissioning. As a key contact for a number of junior staff members and external partners, you will also act as technical lead and as the section's representative in committees, inside and outside CERN.
After an adequate learning period, you will:
- On a rotational basis, take part in the stand-by service for the operation of superconducting RF systems.
- Coordinate technical interventions and maintenance efforts on superconducting RF equipment.
- Test, implement and operate SRF components in test facilities, as well as in existing accelerators.
- Design, simulate, prototype and test SRF components, working in collaboration with internal partners.
- Transfer the relevant know-how and procedures to the industrial partners in charge of manufacturing. Ensure technical contract follow-up for supplies and interact with vendors in the event of issues detected during acceptance testing.
- Coordinate contributions from junior staff and external partners, and provide technical guidance and supervision whenever needed.
- Represent CERN in collaborations with other institutes working on SRF for accelerators, in order to share experience and identify common solutions and future developments.
- Produce technical specifications for calls for tenders and follow up procurement of such equipment.
Master's degree or PhD, or equivalent relevant experience, in the fields of electrical engineering or physics, or equivalent.
The experience required for this post is:
- Proven experience in superconducting accelerator equipment design, procurement and operation.
- Demonstrated experience in working in the field of SRF.
- Initial experience with dedicated measurement equipment and SRF components.
- An initial experience of supervision of a team would be an advantage.
The technical competencies required for this post are:
- Design of Superconducting RF.
- Accelerator operation.
- Commissioning and maintenance of electro-mechanical equipment.
- Testing and qualification of RF components.
The behavioural competencies required for this post are:
- Communicating effectively: utilising effective negotiation techniques to achieve long-term results acceptable to all parties involved; ensuring that information, procedures and decisions are appropriately documented.
- Learning and sharing knowledge: keeping up-to-date with developments in own field of expertise and readily absorbing new information; sharing knowledge and expertise freely and willingly with others; coaching others to ensure knowledge transfer.
- Demonstrating flexibility: demonstrating a willingness to accept changing circumstances; supporting initiatives for change.
- Achieving results: defining clear objectives, milestones and deliverables before initiating work/ project; delivering high quality work on time and fulfilling expectations.
The language competencies required are:
- Spoken and written English: ability to draw-up technical specifications documentation and/or scientific reports.
- Good knowledge of French or willingness to acquire it rapidly.
Employing a diverse and international workforce is a CERN core value and central to our success.
We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 29.10.2017.
By applying here, you allow CERN to consider your application for any position it considers relevant with respect to your profile. Please ensure you update your profile regularly with any relevant information and that you inform the recruitment service if you wish your file to be removed from the database.
We offer a limited-duration contract for a period of 5 years. Limited-duration contracts shall terminate by default on their date of expiry. Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Participation in a regular stand-by duty, including nights, Sundays and public holidays.
- Work during nights, Sundays and public holidays.
- Work in radiation areas.
- Interventions in underground installations.
- A valid driving licence.