Electrical and Cabling Engineer
Are you an experienced electrical Engineer looking to take part in the design, deployment, maintenance and extension of critical DC-power cabling installations in a large industrial setting? Contribute your skills to the magnet-powering infrastructures that constitute CERN's accelerator complex. CERN, take part!
Electrical & Cabling Engineer in the Engineering Department (EN), Electrical Engineering Group (EL), Fibre Optics and Cabling Section (FC).
You will join:
- The Department that provides engineering competencies, infrastructure systems, and technical coordination for the world's largest particle accelerator complex and its experimental facilities.
- The Group that is responsible for CERN's electrical and optical fibre distribution networks. Its main missions are to operate, maintain, extend and renovate the electrical network from 400 kV to 400/230 V and the optical fibre infrastructure, analyse and make projections for CERN's electrical energy consumption and manage relations with the energy suppliers. The Group is also in charge of modifications and extensions to the networks when required by new projects, with project studies, equipment procurement, installation, supervision and commissioning.
- The Fibre Optics and Cabling Section (FC) that is in charge of CERN's optical fibre infrastructure, ensures the technical expertise in the field of fibre optics, and provides optical and copper signal cables, standardised racks and DC power cables for magnets in the accelerators and experimental areas. The Section provides engineering support to the CERN users, centralises their cabling requests and organises the installation activities through external industrial-support contractors.
As an Electrical & Cabling Engineer in the Fibre Optics and Cabling Section, you will actively contribute in the continuous extension, consolidation and maintenance of CERN's DC-power cabling installations constituting the infrastructure for the major magnet powering systems of the various accelerators, including taking part of CERN's current leading project: the High-Luminosity Large Hadron Collider (HL-LHC) Project.
- Take responsibility for Direct Current (DC) cabling projects, including both air-cooled and water-cooled cables.
- Carry out DC-cable design according to the requirements for the DC-circuits in the accelerators.
- Draw-up technical specifications and manage industrial supply and installation contracts.
- Define cabling components, installation methodologies, testing procedures, naming conventions, and database strategies for data organisation.
- Organize DC-power cabling campaigns on the CERN site, requiring close and frequent on-site interactions with contractors and CERN users from other groups/departments.
- Prepare statistics and forecasting, and follow-up project costs and financial plans.
- Coordinate and train a team of engineers and technicians contributing in large DC-cabling projects, as required.
- Contribute in similar activities for Alternating Current (AC) and signal cabling, including fibre optics, as required.
Master's degree or PhD or equivalent relevant experience in the field of electrical engineering, or equivalent.
The experience required for this post is:
- Demonstrated experience in the field of electrical cabling.
- Practical experience in cable installation and testing.
- Proven experience to deal with contractors and sub-contractors.
- Experience in water-cooled cables would be an asset.
The technical competencies required for this post are:
- Systems installation/decommissioning, signal and power cabling.
- Assembly of connectors and cables, including related techniques and tools.
- Project Management.
- Knowledge of modern programming techniques and simulation design software.
- Knowledge of cabling infrastructures design and installation techniques, in particular for power cables.
- Knowledge of design and installation of mechanical structures, including cables trays and racks.
The behavioural competencies required for this post are:
- Managing self: taking initiative beyond regular tasks and making things happen.
- Achieving results: driving work / projects along and seeing them through to their conclusion.
- Solving problems: anticipating obstacles; assessing alternative solutions in order to have a fall-back plan.
- Working in teams: understanding when teamwork is required to achieve the best results; including others accordingly and sharing information.
- Communicating effectively: listening actively to others and letting others speak.
The language competencies required are:
- Spoken and written English or French: ability to understand and speak the other language in professional contexts. Ability to draw-up technical specifications and/or scientific reports and to make oral presentations in at least one of the two languages.
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success.
We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 8.12.2017.
By applying here, you allow CERN to consider your application for any position it considers relevant with respect to your profile. Please ensure you update your profile regularly with any relevant information and that you inform the recruitment service if you wish your file to be removed from the database.
We offer a limited-duration contract for a period of 5 years. Limited-duration contracts shall terminate by default on their date of expiry.
Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Work in radiation areas.
- Interventions in underground installations.
- A valid driving licence.
- Shift work, when required by the needs of the Organization.
- Stand-by duty, when required by the needs of the Organization.
- Work during nights, Sundays and official holidays, when required by the needs of the Organization.