Electrical Design Team Leader
Are you an experienced Electrical Engineer looking to lead the Section in charge of the electrical and integration studies for projects and works as well as the development of electrical engineering standards? Contribute your skills to the electrical infrastructure Group supplying CERN's accelerator complex and experiments. CERN, take part!
Electrical Design Team Leader in the Engineering Department (EN), Electrical Engineering Group (EL), Documentation and Design Office Section (DDO).
You will join:
- The Department that provides engineering competencies, infrastructure systems, and technical coordination for the world's largest particle accelerator complex and its experimental facilities.
- The Group that is responsible for CERN's electrical and optical fibre distribution networks. Its main missions are to operate, maintain, extend and renovate the electrical network from 400 kV to 400/230 V and the optical fibre infrastructure, analyse and make projections for CERN's electrical energy consumption and manage relations with the energy suppliers. The Group is also in charge of modifications and extensions to the networks when required by new projects, with project studies, equipment procurement, installation, supervision and commissioning.
- The Documentation and Design Office (DDO) Section that is responsible for carrying out and coordinating electrical and integration studies for projects and works, and ensuring that they comply with the electrical engineering standards and long-term roadmap. The Section is also in charge of properly archiving all the technical documentation and keeping up-to-date the databases related to the electrical equipment operated and maintained within the Group. Finally, the Section manages the equipment-related activities for the HV protection relays.
As Electrical Design Team Leader, you will have the dual function of an experienced Electrical Engineer and a Manager.
As an Electrical Engineer, you will:
- Interact with project managers and stakeholders to establish technical specifications, clarify requirements, establish workplans, negotiate priorities;
- Prepare and/or review the design documentation throughout the complete lifecycle of electrical equipment and systems for the technical activities undertaken (e.g. for projects and works);
- Lead the studies related to the evolution of CERN electrical network, including the modelling and simulations, and contribute in the identification of subsequent medium and long-term upgrade strategies;
- Develop and/or review design standards, quality assurance plans and working methods to ensure consistency and robustness across the design and 2D/3D integration activities managed by the Section;
- Ensure that all daily activities related to the HV protection relays installed on the electrical network are properly managed to maximize operational performance.
As a Team Leader, you will:
- Lead a team composed of qualified engineers and technicians (approximately 10 Members of Personnel);
- Structure the Section to ensure that the design activities are delivered in accordance with the requirements and constraints, for instance in terms quality, cost and time;
- Ensure that the technical solutions are optimised in terms of cost, efficiency, quality and workload for project, installation, operation and maintenance teams;
- Manage the financial resources of the Section;
- Represent the Section in managerial or technical meetings, working groups, task forces, projects and coordination meetings.
Master's degree or PhD or equivalent relevant experience in the field of electrical engineering, or equivalent.
The experience required for this post is:
- Relevant experience in designing electrical networks;
- Proven skills in authoring technical documents and scientific reports;
- Relevant experience in Project Management;
- Leadership experience in an engineering environment would be an asset.
The technical competencies required for this post are:
- Design of HV network & substations;
- Design of LV network & switchboard;
- Commissioning, maintenance & operation of electrical distribution systems: would be an asset;
- Knowledge of EU standards related to HV/LV electrical installations; (e.g. NF C 13-200, NF C 15-100 would be an asset);
- 3D integration CAD software;
- HV/LV electrical simulation (load flow simulation, short-circuit calculation¿) for equipment sizing and protection setting (ETAP, Power Factory, Trace Elec, etc.).
The behavioural competencies required for this post are:
- Bringing the best out of people;
- Leading with strength and credibility;
- Working in the interest of the Organization;
- Achieving results;
- Communicating effectively;
- Learning and sharing knowledge.
The language competencies required for this post are:
- Spoken and written English and French: ability to understand and speak both languages in professional contexts and ability to draw-up technical specifications and scientific publications and to make oral presentations.
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success.
We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 05.11.2017.
By applying here, you allow CERN to consider your application for any position it considers relevant with respect to your profile. Please ensure you update your profile regularly with any relevant information and that you inform the recruitment service if you wish your file to be removed from the database.
We offer a limited-duration contract for a period of 5 years. Limited-duration contracts shall terminate by default on their date of expiry. Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Participation in a regular stand-by duty, including nights, Sundays and public holidays;
- Work in radiation areas;
- Interventions in underground installations;
- A valid driving licence;
- Shift work, when required by the needs of the Organization;
- Work during nights, Sundays and official holidays, when required by the needs of the Organization.