Design and Method Engineer
Do you want to explore a large range of engineering tasks? Follow a product throughout its life cycle and be involved in calculation and design, production, commissioning, and operation? Then you should join CERN and find out about the different equipment used in particle physics research. CERN, take part!
Design Engineer in the Engineering Department, Mechanical Engineering Design Office.
You will join:
The Engineering Department that provides engineering competences, infrastructure systems, and technical coordination for the world's largest particle accelerator complex and its experimental facilities.
The Group that provides specific engineering solutions for CERN, combining mechanical design, production facilities, and material sciences support.
The Design Office in charge of mechanical design activities required for CERN projects. The Design Office main activities are:
- The study and development of new products based on structural, thermal, fluid-dynamic, shock and vibration analyses.
- Analytical computations in compliance with relevant standards and code specifications.
- Detailed design (3D and 2D) and drafting.
These activities are carried out relying on a large range of CAD and CAE tools, mainly Dassault Systèmes CATIA v5, SmarTeam, Ansys Multiphysics, and Workbench.
As a Design & Method Engineer, you will follow the design and construction of equipment for accelerators and detectors. Upgrading existing equipment will be one of your tasks as well as developing new devices for future machines. Cryogenic applications, magnets, superconductivity, radio frequency, safety, reliability, ultra-high vacuum technology are just a few of the key words related to this position.
This will involve:
Engineering and hands-on design of components and systems from the conceptual design to detailed specification and manufacturing drawings using CAD tools. During the first years of your contract, you will spend the main part of your working time to fulfil this task.
After the initial design period, you will become the reference engineer of the Design Office for what concerns management of the drawing methods, the CAD data life cycle, the CAD data quality and the traceability procedures. You will analyse the working methodologies of the Design Office, define improvements following existing industrial standards and implement the modifications.
You will be as well involved in technical projects, specifically:
- Write technical specifications, perform market surveys and price enquiries to find appropriate suppliers.
- Follow-up the production in CERN workshops and in industry.
- Supervise technical staff, students and/or fellows when necessary.
Master's degree or PhD or equivalent relevant experience in the field of mechanical engineering or a related field.
The experience required for this post is:
- Extensive experience as a Mechanical Engineer in a design office in industry or research centres, preferably in a large spectrum of technical activities. Follow-up of projects from the design to the construction and commissioning phases.
- Demonstrated experience in the development of fit for purpose design solutions, with the ability to analyse and solve typical mechanical engineering problems using a sound knowledge of strength of materials, heat transfer and materials selection principles.
- Proven hands-on experience in working with 3D parametric computer-aided design tools, preferably with CATIA software. Personal expertise in drafting and controlling 2D technical drawings in compliance with relevant standards for dimensioning and tolerancing, in particular ISO Geometrical Product Specifications (GPS).
- Demonstrated experience in the implementation and use of CAD/PDM life cycle, traceability and quality procedures.
- Experience in providing technical leadership, to coach and motivate a team of designers and drafts men would be an asset.
The technical competencies required for this post are:
- 3D & 2D technical drawing: knowledge of CAD/PLM tools.
- Design of mechanical systems.
- Product lifecycle management.
- Mechanical analysis & modelling.
- Precision assembly and construction.
The behavioural competencies required for this post are:
- Achieving results: delivering high quality work on time and fulfilling expectations; allocating appropriate amount of time for completing tasks; delivering prompt and efficient service taking into account customer needs.
- Demonstrating accountability: working conscientiously and reliably; delivering on promises; taking responsibility for own actions and decisions; giving credit where credit is due.
- Demonstrating flexibility: demonstrating openness to new ideas and situations; demonstrating willingness to alter views when presented with new information; adapting quickly and resourcefully to shifting priorities and requirements.
- Managing self: taking initiative beyond regular tasks and making things happen; using time efficiently and effectively; maintaining a positive outlook even in difficult situations; demonstrating resilience and persistence in response to setbacks and adversity.
- Communicating effectively: providing others with timely information; selecting the appropriate medium and forum to communicate; expressing opinions, ideas and suggestions with conviction and in a logical/structured manner; keeping to the point.
The language competencies required are:
Fluency in English is essential, (spoken and written) as the HL-LHC project requires collaboration with Universities and Institutes worldwide.
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success.
We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 09.11.2017.
By applying here, you allow CERN to consider your application for any position it considers relevant with respect to your profile. Please ensure you update your profile regularly with any relevant information and that you inform the recruitment service if you wish your file to be removed from the database.
We offer a limited-duration contract for a period of 5 years. Limited-duration contracts shall terminate by default on their date of expiry.
Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Work in radiation areas.
- Interventions in underground installations.
- Shift work, when required by the needs of the Organization.
- Stand-by duty, when required by the needs of the Organization.
- Work during nights, Sundays and official holidays, when required by the needs of the Organization.