Designer and Support Technician
Are you a talented Designer Draughtsman experienced with mechanical integration work? Would you like to work and support with a wide range of experts from different fields? Then join CERN's Integration Section and contribute to the mechanical work done on one the most complex machine ever built on earth. CERN, take part!
Designer & Support Technician in the Engineering Department (EN), the Alignment Coordination and Engineering Group (ACE), the Integration Section (INT).
You will join:
- The Engineering Department (EN) that provides engineering competences, infrastructure systems and technical coordination for the world's largest particle accelerator complex and its experimental facilities.
- The Alignment Coordination and Engineering Group (ACE), which provides project coordination for the accelerator complex, including layout management, integration, scheduling, work and safety coordination as well as metrology and alignment services. The Group further provides development and support for the Organization's engineering data, maintenance management tools and CAD systems.
- The Integration Section (INT), responsible for the 3D integration studies of all the installations necessary for the operation of a particle accelerator.
As a Designer and Support Technician in the Integration Office, you will:
- Study the integration of mechanical systems, components and services for CERN accelerator complex, using CATIA V5 as a main Computer-aided design tool.
- Prepare drawings for technical documentation, in compliance with relevant drafting standards and current quality assurance plan, and provide, comparison and evaluation of different options for technical-system layouts.
- Assist CAD and PLM/PDM users by providing support, disseminating best practices and resolving problems around the CAD and PLM/PDM tools. Typical application areas include; CAD Data Management and CAD methodologies.
- Participate in tests, user-documentation creation and maintenance of applications in collaboration with the team in charge of CAD support at CERN.
Higher technical diploma in the field of mechanics, or equivalent.
The experience required for this post is:
- Demonstrated experience of mechanical integration in a mechanical, aeronautical, or civil engineering design office.
- Demonstrated experience with providing user support, as well as technical support and troubleshooting of applications.
- Demonstrated experience with PLM/PDM systems; knowledge of SmarTeam is an asset.
The technical competencies required for this post are:
- Mechanical systems integration.
- 3D & 2D technical drawing: using CATIA V5 and relevant standards.
- Mechanical analysis & modelling: solving of basic mechanical engineering problems using strength of materials and materials selection principles.
The behavioural competencies required for this post are:
- Working in teams: building and maintaining constructive and effective work relationships.
- Communicating effectively: ensuring that information, procedures and decisions are appropriately documented; expressing opinions, ideas and suggestions with conviction and in a logical/structured manner; keeping to the point.
- Solving problems: identifying, defining and assessing problems, taking action to address them.
The language competencies required are:
- Spoken and written English or French: ability to understand and speak the other language in routine situations. Willingness to acquire the knowledge of the other language rapidly.
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success.
We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 12.11.2017.
By applying here, you allow CERN to consider your application for any position it considers relevant with respect to your profile. Please ensure you update your profile regularly with any relevant information and that you inform the recruitment service if you wish your file to be removed from the database.
We offer a limited-duration contract for a period of 5 years. Limited-duration contracts shall terminate by default on their date of expiry.
Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Work during nights, Sundays and official holidays, when required by the needs of the Organization.