Project and Operations Technical Engineer
Are you a technical engineer with experience in the operation of large, complex infrastructure projects? This is a unique opportunity to contribute your skills to manage the on-site operations and specific technical infrastructure upgrade projects for CMS. CERN, take part!
Project and Operations Technical Engineer in the Experimental Physics Department (EP), CMX-SCI Section.
CMS is one of the largest physics experiments of CERN's flagship project, the Large Hadron Collider. The CMS detector is located on the CERN site of Point 5, Cessy (France). The EP Department seeks a technical engineer to manage the on-site operations and specific technical infrastructure upgrade projects for CMS.
You will join:
- The CMS Experiment Systems Group in the Experimental Physics Department. You will be embedded into the Safety, Coordination and Infrastructure Section, part of the Experimental Area Management team. The role of the latter is to plan and coordinate the activities unfolding at Point 5 and lead infrastructure projects.
As a Project and Operations Technical Engineer, you will:
- Schedule, plan, forecast, resource and manage technical activities aimed at assuring CMS infrastructure projects' accuracy and quality from conception to completion.
- Design schedules for all underground activities during technical stops, year-end technical stops and long shutdowns; coordinate with all CMS sub-systems and other CERN technical support groups to define the most effective way to meet objectives in the allocated time frame; define and ensure compliance with CMS long-term strategy in synergy with the CMS technical coordinator.
- Manage corrective actions in reaction to technical incidents on the CMS experimental site (underground and surface); carry out the necessary follow-up in coordination with CERN service groups until the infrastructure is back in operation at nominal performance; contribute to minimizing down time on the technical infrastructure by implementing crisis mitigation measures.
- Assess risks of work procedures and ensure link with CERN and CMS safety organisations.
Bachelor's degree in a technical domain, or equivalent.
The experience required for this post is:
- Demonstrated experience in coordination of large technically diverse teams in a multicultural environment.
- Extensive experience in designing work schedules, including for large scientific experiments.
- Extensive experience in operation management, including complex infrastructure.
- Demonstrated experience in coordinating technical projects including actors from the academic as well as for-profit sectors.
The technical competencies required for this post are:
- Organisation, planning and control: proficiency in the use of Microsoft Project.
- Operations management.
- Project management: formal education would be an advantage.
The behavioural competencies required for this post are:
- Building relationships: understanding how individual differences bring added value to the Organization; promoting complementarities; relating well to all people regardless of category/level within the Organization.
- Solving problems: identifying, defining and assessing problems, taking action to address them.
- Demonstrating flexibility: adapting quickly and resourcefully to shifting priorities and requirements.
- Achieving results: delivering high quality work on time and fulfilling expectations.
- Communicating effectively: providing others with timely information; listening actively to others and letting others speak.
The language competencies required for this post are:
- Spoken and written English.
- Ability to draw up technical texts in English or French.
- Ability to speak French in routine situations.
Employing a diverse and international workforce is a CERN core value and central to our success.
We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 29.11.2017.
By applying here, you allow CERN to consider your application for any position it considers relevant with respect to your profile. Please ensure you update your profile regularly with any relevant information and that you inform the recruitment service if you wish your file to be removed from the database.
We offer a limited-duration contract for a period of 3 years. Limited-duration contracts shall terminate by default on their date of expiry. Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Work during nights, Sundays and public holidays.
- Work in radiation areas.
- Interventions in underground installations.
- A valid driving licence.