Fibre Optics Engineer
Are you an experienced fibre optics engineer looking to take part in installation projects whilst bringing innovative views on the development of technologies? Contribute your skills to the infrastructure for the major communication systems that constitute CERN's accelerator complex. CERN, take part!
Fibre Optics Engineer in the Engineering Department (EN), Electrical Engineering Group (EL), Fibre Optics and Cabling Section (FC).
You will join:
The Department that provides engineering competencies, infrastructure systems, and technical coordination for the world's largest particle accelerator complex and its experimental facilities.
The Group that is responsible for CERN's electrical and optical fibre distribution networks. Its main missions are to operate, maintain, extend and renovate the electrical network from 400 kV to 400/230 V and the optical fibre infrastructure, analyse and make projections for CERN's electrical energy consumption and manage relations with the energy suppliers. The group is also in charge of modifications and extensions to the networks when required by new projects, with project studies, equipment procurement, installation, supervision and commissioning.
The Fibre Optics and Cabling Section (FC) that is in charge of CERN's optical fibre infrastructure, ensures the technical expertise in the field of fibre optics, and provides optical and copper signal cables, standardised racks and DC power cables for magnets in the accelerators and experimental areas. The Section provides engineering support to the CERN users, centralises their cabling requests and organises the installation activities through external industrial-support contractors.
As a fibre optics engineer in the Fibre Optics and Cabling Section, you will provide expertise in the domain of fibre optics technology and actively contribute to the continuous extension, consolidation, and maintenance of CERN's optical fibre network constituting the infrastructure for the major communication systems of the various accelerators, including CERN's current leading project: the High-Luminosity Large Hadron Collider (HL-LHC).
- Provide the expertise and ensure the development of the technology in the domain of fibre optics for CERN applications; provide engineering support to optical fibre users.
- Qualify and procure cutting-edge optical fibre types and components, including radiation resistant optical fibres.
- Perform engineering studies of the optical fibre network in view of improving its reliability and availability.
- Draw up technical specifications and manage industrial supply contracts.
- Define optical cabling components, installation methodologies, testing procedures, and naming conventions.
- Organize optical fibre cabling installation campaigns on CERN sites, requiring close and frequent on-site interactions with contractors and CERN users from other Groups/Departments.
- Prepare data analysis, statistics and forecasting and follow-up project costs and financial plans.
- Contribute in copper cabling activities, as required.
Master's degree or PhD, or equivalent relevant experience in the fields of electrical engineering, electronics engineering, or equivalent.
The experience required for this post is:
- Demonstrated experience in the field of optoelectronics components and optical fibre transmission.
- Demonstrated experience in the field of optical fibre qualification and tests.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience in using optical measurement equipment.
The following experience would be an asset:
- Demonstrated experience in the field of optical fibre and signal cabling installation.
- Ability to deal with contractors and sub-contractors.
- Experience in writing technical specifications and /or scientific publications.
- Knowledge and experience in radiation resistant optical fibres.
- Practical experience of optical fibre cabling with the blowing method.
The technical competencies required for this post are:
- Programming/software development: knowledge of modern programming techniques and simulation design software.
- Knowledge of optical transmission fundamentals.
- Optical cabling system design and implementation techniques.
The behavioural competencies required for this post are:
- Managing self: taking initiative beyond regular tasks and making things happen.
- Achieving results: driving work / projects along and seeing them through to their conclusion.
- Solving problems: anticipating obstacles; assessing alternative solutions in order to have a fall-back plan.
- Working in teams: understanding when teamwork is required to achieve the best results; including others accordingly and sharing information.
- Communicating effectively: listening actively to others and letting others speak.
The language competencies required are:
- Spoken and written English: ability to understand and speak the language in professional contexts; ability to draw-up technical specifications and scientific publications and to make oral presentations.
- Basic knowledge of French would be an advantage.
Employing a diverse and international workforce is a CERN core value and central to our success.
We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 08.01.2018.
By applying here, you allow CERN to consider your application for any position it considers relevant with respect to your profile. Please ensure you update your profile regularly with any relevant information and that you inform the recruitment service if you wish your file to be removed from the database.
We offer a limited-duration contract for a period of 5 years. Limited-duration contracts shall terminate by default on their date of expiry. Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Work in radiation areas.
- Interventions in underground installations.
- A valid driving licence.
- Shift work, when required by the needs of the Organization.
- Stand-by duty, when required by the needs of the Organization.
- Work during nights, Sundays and official holidays, when required by the needs of the Organization.