Electrical Power Technician
Are you a passionate technician who is at ease with powerful electrical equipment? Are you ready to participate in the design, production, installation, commissioning, maintenance and operation of CERN electrical power converters? CERN, take part!
Electrical Power Technician in the CERN Technology Department (TE), Electrical Power Converter Group (EPC), Low Power Converters Section (LPC).
You will join:
- The Electrical Power Converter Group (TE-EPC), responsible for the power converters for the CERN particle accelerator complex. The mandate of the group covers the operation and maintenance of several thousand power converters in the range between 10 kW and 100 MW, as well as developments for challenging new projects.
- The Low Power Converter Section (TE-EPC-LPC), whose members develop and operate specific low power systems for magnets including those of the LHC injector chain and almost all the LHC superconducting magnets. The mandate of the section also covers the maintenance of power converters, as well as developments for new projects.
As an Electrical Power Technician you will participate in the design, construction, commissioning, operation and maintenance of power converters. Your main activities will consist of:
- Participation in the development, construction, and installation of power converters.
- Preparation, during the design phase, of the electrical circuit diagrams and 2D & 3D mechanical integration drawings.
- Participation in the electrical qualification of the converters, and in their reception tests in case of series production.
- Participation in the commissioning of the converter in its final environment and on the final load, with all surrounding systems being connected, to permit the operation of the full system.
- Participation in the operation and maintenance of power converters.
- Proposing improvements and upgrade of the existing equipment.
- Participation in our stand-by service for fault-finding and corrective interventions.
Higher technical diploma in the fields of electricity, electro-mechanics, electronics, or equivalent.
The experience required for this post is:
- Initial experience in one of the following domains: design, installation, testing, operation and/or maintenance of electric power equipment in the range between 1 kW and 100 kW.
The technical competencies required for this post are:
- Electro-mechanical construction: use of CAD tools for circuit diagrams and 2d & 3d technical drawings.
- Commissioning, maintenance and operation of power systems.
- Design of electrical circuit layout.
- Commissioning, operation and maintenance of electronic systems.
The behavioural competencies required for this post are:
- Achieving results: delivering high quality work on time and fulfilling expectations.
- Working in teams: working well in groups and readily fitting into a team; participating fully and taking an active role in team activities.
- Communicating effectively: ensuring that information, procedures and decisions are appropriately documented.
- Demonstrating flexibility: readily accepting new tasks or work/projects.
The language competencies required are:
- Spoken and written English or French: basic knowledge of the other language or an undertaking to acquire it rapidly.
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success.
We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 10.12.2017.
By applying here, you allow CERN to consider your application for any position it considers relevant with respect to your profile. Please ensure you update your profile regularly with any relevant information and that you inform the recruitment service if you wish your file to be removed from the database.
We offer a limited-duration contract for a period of 5 years. Limited-duration contracts shall terminate by default on their date of expiry. Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Participation in a regular stand-by duty, including nights, Sundays and public holidays.
- Work in radiation areas.
- Interventions in underground installations.
- A valid driving licence is required.
- Work during nights, Sundays and official holidays, when required by the needs of the Organization.