Electromechanical Technician (Cooling and Ventilation)
Operating the most complex technology in the world, like the LHC, is a team effort at CERN, and the Cooling and Ventilation Group is looking for a technician for operation and installation to come join the effort. Building up your knowledge of cooling and ventilation installations, working with the highest technology available and becoming part of an international team are what you can look forward to. You will benefit from specific training and support for professional development to foster your skills and develop your talents. CERN, take part!
You will join:
- The EN Department that provides engineering competences, infrastructure systems and technical coordination for the world's largest particle accelerator complex and its experimental facilities.
- The Cooling & Ventilation Group (CV), responsible for designing, constructing, maintaining and operating cooling, ventilation and air conditioning systems and large scale fluid distribution systems for the whole Laboratory, in particular in accelerator and experiments underground areas.
- The LHC Section (LHC) within the CV Group in charge of the installation, maintenance and operation activities of CV installations on the LHC accelerator complex; the size of these plants can range from small systems up to large scale of several MW.
As a member of the CV Group, you will be in contact with a wide range of people, collaborating in installation projects and in operation and maintenance aspects of the existing CV plants. You will be expected to follow to completion the activities, with varying degrees of complexity, in these fields. As an autonomous, proactive team player, collaborating with project engineers and various other technicians who are all experts in their own fields, you will:
- Monitor, operate and perform patrols on cooling and ventilation installations (cooling plants, air-conditioning systems, water pumping stations, compressed air and chilled water production units and networks), perform problem analysis and optimize working parameters with respect to operational needs.
- Follow-up on and coordinate construction work on cooling and ventilation installations (water pumping, compressed air, chilled water production, and ventilation systems) to ensure compliance with safety rules, technical standards, contractual documents as well as within the established schedule and budget.
- Provide support to the operators in other accelerators complexes or other sites.
- Set priorities, plan and validate technically the repair or maintenance interventions to be performed on equipment under your responsibility.
- Perform overall analysis of data and information (via CMMS software or by inspections on site) in order to define the maintenance and operation plan.
- Propose adequate technical solutions to user's request, take responsibility of all consequent actions to perform works.
- Ensure the conformity of the CMMS recordings with the work performed in situ.
- Monitor and follow up external contractors' activities to ensure the compliance of actions with the contractual agreements and good practice on technical standards.
- Take part in the stand-by service.
Higher technical diploma in the field of electromechanics, or equivalent.
The experience required for this post is:
- Demonstrated experience in operation and maintenance of demineralised water production, ventilation, compressed air and chilled water production plants and their processes.
- Experience in managing small systems up to large scale of several MW infrastructures would be an asset.
- Experience in using CMMS software (INFOR EAM or equivalent) and Microsoft Office (mainly Excel, Word and PowerPoint).
The technical competencies required for this post are:
- Maintenance & operation of cooling and ventilation installations (production plants and distribution networks); including installation work on cooling, HVAC and compressed air systems.
- HVAC process and regulation.
- Use of maintenance management systems.
- Subcontracting, industrial support (contract supervision).
- Commissioning, maintenance & operation of electrical distribution systems: in particular low voltage electrical distribution systems; controls and process automation.
- Configuration, programming and use of Supervisory Control And Data Acquisition (SCADA) systems: PLC programming knowledge would be an asset.
The behavioural competencies required for this post are:
- Solving problems: identifying, defining and assessing problems, taking action to address them; anticipating obstacles; assessing alternative solutions in order to have a fall-back plan; producing workable and timely solutions that meet requirements.
- Demonstrating flexibility: readily accepting new tasks or work/projects; readily absorbing new techniques and working practices; proposing new or improved ways of working; demonstrating openness to new ideas and situations.
- Managing self: taking initiative beyond regular tasks and making things happen.
- Achieving results: objectively assessing and monitoring own work; regularly reporting on progress and advising of any changes in schedule or priorities; having a structured and organised approach towards work; being able to set priorities and plan tasks with results in mind.
- Working in teams: seeking to help other team members when own work is done; supporting others.
The language competencies required are:
- Spoken and written English or French with the ability to understand and speak the other language in routine situations or willingness to acquire this skill rapidly.
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success.
We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 09.01.2018.
By applying here, you allow CERN to consider your application for any position it considers relevant with respect to your profile. Please ensure you update your profile regularly with any relevant information and that you inform the recruitment service if you wish your file to be removed from the database.
We offer a limited-duration contract for a period of 5 years. Limited-duration contracts shall terminate by default on their date of expiry.
Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Participation in a regular stand-by duty, including nights, Sundays and public holidays.
- Work during nights, Sundays and public holidays.
- Work in radiation areas.
- Interventions in underground installations.
- A valid driving licence.
- Shift work, when required by the needs of the Organization.