Are you a skilled Software Engineer? Want to take an active role in the design and development of the systems used by the CERN installation, operation and maintenance teams to model, manage and control the particle accelerators - driving the beams from their source to the LHC? Then join CERN's Controls Data Services team and realize your potential. CERN, take part!
Software Engineer in the Beams Department (BE), Controls Group (CO), Data Services Section (DS).
You will join:
- The BE Department, responsible for the beam generation, acceleration, diagnostics, controls and performance optimization for the LHC and its injector accelerators.
- The CO Group, responsible for providing and supporting the controls infrastructure used to operate and maintain these particle accelerators 24 hours a day.
- The DS Section: a dynamic and quality-oriented agile team, responsible for the mission-critical database centric services, associated applications and user interfaces.
As a Software Engineer in the DS Section, you will initially join the team behind the CERN-wide Layout Service - providing the system for managing the data that describes the functional layouts of CERN's accelerators and supporting installations, and tracks their evolution over time. In this team you will take a major role in the development of a new system aimed at allowing experts from around CERN to consult and manage the layout data which is used by approximately 40 other systems at CERN. In particular you will:
- Participate in the whole software development lifecycle (requirements, design, development, testing), following a modern agile approach.
- Communicate with the end-users of the services to understand their needs and help translate these into appropriate software solutions.
- Interact with skilled and motivated software engineers on a daily basis to deliver quality results.
- Investigate, diagnose and resolve operational problems.
- Mentor junior developers.
Master's degree or PhD or equivalent relevant experience in the field of computing, computer science, software engineering, or equivalent.
The experience required for this post is:
- Proven experience in Java development using Spring and JPA.
- Proven experience to build new software systems and evolve existing ones.
- Experience applying software quality assurance techniques and practice with corresponding tools.
- Professional experience with relational databases including a strong knowledge of SQL.
The following are considered as assets but are not mandatory:
- Experience working with REST, JSON and developing client applications with AngularJS, Angular and Typescript.
- Experience in tuning DBMS performance (preferably Oracle) and/or integration with application software.
The technical competencies required for this post are:
- Programming/Software development: core software design principles and application development.
- Database/Repository design: sql (oracle dbms is a plus).
- Systems integration: integration and testing of components and/or subsystems and their interfaces..
- Application support: provide support of operational systems.
- Technical Advice and Guidance: working with end users to understand their needs and provide corresponding technical solutions.
The behavioural competencies required for this post are:
- Achieving results: having a structured and organised approach towards work; being able to set priorities and plan tasks with results in mind.
- Learning and sharing knowledge: keeping up-to-date with developments in own field of expertise and readily absorbing new information; sharing knowledge and expertise freely and willingly with others; coaching others to ensure knowledge transfer; thinking "out of the box" and proposing fresh ideas, insights and methodologies.
- Working in teams: understanding when teamwork is required to achieve the best results; including others accordingly and sharing information; working well in groups and readily fitting into a team; participating fully and taking an active role in team activities.
- Demonstrating flexibility: adapting quickly and resourcefully to shifting priorities and requirements; instigating and promoting change as an opportunity for organisational development.
The language competencies required are:
- Spoken and written English, with the ability to draw-up technical specifications and/or scientific reports, and/or to make oral presentations. The knowledge of the French language or the willingness to acquire this rapidly would be an advantage.
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success.
We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 31.01.2018.
By applying here, you allow CERN to consider your application for any position it considers relevant with respect to your profile. Please ensure you update your profile regularly with any relevant information and that you inform the recruitment service if you wish your file to be removed from the database.
We offer a limited-duration contract for a period of 5 years. Limited-duration contracts shall terminate by default on their date of expiry.
Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Stand-by duty, when required by the needs of the Organization.
- Work during nights, Sundays and official holidays, when required by the needs of the Organization.