Spontaneous application in Mechanical engineering
Skills always in demand.
Mechanical engineering like nowhere else on earth
Start with a blank sheet; a project of the kind and scale you won't find elsewhere, and problems with no obvious solutions. Your imagination kicks in, you put your skills to the test and together with colleagues from across the globe you set out to design and build something that has never been built before. Now, imagine over 50 kilometers of the most high-tech mechanical engineering hardware; experiments the size of cathedrals designed and built from scratch by leading experts, with parts delivered from all over the world¿ This is CERN, where the words `mechanical engineering' take on a whole new meaning. And CERN needs your mechanical engineering skills! From R&D, conceptual design, calculations and drawings to commissioning and installation, all this in tight time windows to keep your adrenaline pumping, the work here is varied and stimulating.
If you have experience in any of the following areas:
- Mechanical Design and Manufacture - Computer-Aided Design, Finite Element analysis, production engineering, project management;
- Advanced computational mechanics for multiphysics simulations;
- Magnets and superconductors - design and test of conventional and superconducting electro-magnets;
- Cryogenics equipment - Cryogenic engineering, design and maintenance;
- Vacuum system design and operation;
- Heating, cooling and ventilation (HVAC);
- Experimental detector structures - Light, composites and advanced materials;
- Crafts and trades -welding, sheet metal work, machining, precision assembly and fitting.
If you're keen to be trained in new technologies in an ever evolving environment at technology's cutting edge, don't hesitate! The possibilities are vast, the opportunities enticing.
We offer roles at all levels, from completed apprentices to PhDs. If you've got knowledge or experience in any of these areas, we can offer you a challenge like no other. Please use the link below to register your interest.
By applying here, you allow CERN to consider your application for any position it considers relevant with respect to your profile. However, please note that this is not guaranteed and depends on whether the recruitment team needs to search this database for given positions where there is an insufficient number of suitably qualified applicants. We therefore encourage you to file applications for specific job opportunities as you see fit, where your application will be considered among all those received.
Please ensure you update your profile with any relevant information regularly.
Employing a diverse and international workforce is a CERN core value and central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States irrespective of gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, race, religion or family situation.
We also have entry-level opportunities in the field. To find out more, check our graduate programme webpages.