In order to fulfil its role as a European centre and as a member of the world-wide community of scientific institutes, CERN offers the use of its research facilities to a certain number of established scientists to participate in its programmes covering experimental and theoretical particle physics, as well as various related activities in applied physics, electronics, computing and engineering.
- Associates must remain employed by their home institute during their appointment at CERN.
- The duration of the contract is at most one year. Extensions may be granted in exceptional circumstances. However, the total duration of the appointment shall not exceed two years.
- No Associateship can be awarded less than five years after the end date of an earlier CERN Paid Associateship, Fellowship or Staff Position (The rule is applied pro rata for stays shorter than the standard contract duration)
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success.
- Subsistence allowance based on seniority (from 6293 CHF to 8913 CHF per month)
- Family allowance (under certain conditions)
- Scientific associates are entitled to authorised absences provided their contract of association has a duration of at least four months
- Possibility to join the CERN Health Insurance Scheme
- Travel reimbursement depending on personal situation
Applications are submitted online. The following documents are required:
• a completed electronic application form;
• a Curriculum Vitae;
• a list of publications;
• three letters of recommendation
The application and ALL supporting documents should reach CERN via the e-recruitment system by the closing date.
Please note: In the "Specific Information" section of the application form, a link to forward to your THREE referees will be available (as well as in the email of acknowledgment receipt). This link will allow them to submit their letter of recommendation in support of your application. Letters should be in English or French and submitted by the deadline indicated.
All applications for Scientific Associates are considered by the Associates and Fellows Committee which meets twice per year, usually in May and November. Results are sent out in the days following the committee.
Applications which are incomplete (e.g. missing reference letters) as of the closing date for a given Committee will not be considered.