How do you plan to spend your summer? How does getting involved in some of the world’s biggest experiments sound? This is more than summer work. It’s the chance to join CERN in Geneva – getting involved in the day-to-day work of our multicultural teams. Attend lectures, visit CERN facilities, take part in discussions and workshops with people who are leaders in their fields. In fact, it will be a summer like nowhere else on Earth.
Summer Student Programme - Member States
- You are a national of a CERN Member State.
- You are an undergraduate student of physics, computing and/or engineering.
- You have completed, by the summer of attending, at least three years of full-time studies at university level. If you expect to graduate in the summer of attending, you are eligible to apply.
- You have not worked at CERN before (e.g. as a User or Technical Student).
- You have a good knowledge of English; knowledge of French would be an advantage.
- Travel allowance
- Between 8 to 13 weeks
- Choice of dates of stay to be indicated in application
- Health Insurance Scheme
- 40 hours/week
- During July & August you may attend lectures from 09:00-12:30 each day (5 weeks)
- Report to be written by the end of stay
- The CERN Housing Service will assist you in finding accommodation on, or near the site of the laboratory
- Summer Student Info pages
Please apply online before the January deadline. Once your application has been submitted you will receive a confirmation e-mail which contains a link to the CERN "Report on candidate" form. You must forward this link to at least one referee. These completed reports MUST reach us before the deadline in order for your application to be considered.
You must upload an official academic transcript (marks/ranking) as well as a CV in order to complete the application.
All documents should be less than 6 months old at the deadline.
Once the applications are completed by the end of January, the selection process begins. The supervisors select their students and the final selection results are made by mid-April.
All students will receive a positive or negative answer by the end of April.