Are you a mechanical technician with experience in components and prototyping of coating systems? Do you want to be part of an exciting international project and contribute to the development of CERN's unique vacuum infrastructure, one of the largest in the world with a total of 130 km of vacuum vessels. Join the Vacuum, Surfaces & Coatings Group! CERN, take part!
Mechanical technician for thin film coatings in the Technology Department (TE), Vacuum Surfaces and Coatings group (VSC), Surfaces Coatings and Chemistry section (SCC).
You will join:
The Surface Coatings and Chemistry section (SCC), taking care of the surface and chemical analyses, surface finishing and thin film coatings by PVD. The latter activity includes design, manufacturing and assembling of UHV components dedicated to coatings. Typical examples are cathodes used in PVD, insulators, masks, supports in various materials which are compatible with the specific requirements for vacuum, exposure to cold plasmas and high voltage.
As a mechanical technician in the SCC section, you will:
- Assemble mechanical parts of coatings systems or prototypes.
- Manufacture metallic and ceramic parts to be inserted in UHV systems.
- Design new components in collaboration with physicists and engineers of the section.
- Take part in the maintenance/renewal of the present installations (thin film coating plants, UHV pumping systems, bake out equipment).
- Take part in the monitoring of coating processes.
- Operate coating systems for R&D and production series of thin films.
- Participate in the stand by duty team of the VSC group.
- Write simple technical reports of coating processes.
Technical certificate or general secondary education in the field of mechanics, or equivalent.
The experience required for this post is:
- Proven experience in the use of machine tools (milling, turning).
- Proven experience in manufacturing of mechanical parts for coating systems.
- Proven experience in assembling UHV systems.
- Experience on the operation of thin film coating systems.
The technical competencies required for this post are:
- Knowledge of materials for UHV technology.
- Knowledge of thin film coating.
- Knowledge of CAD systems would be an advantage.
The behavioural competencies required for this post are:
- Working in teams: building and maintaining constructive and effective work relationships.
- Solving problems: recognizing what is essential; discriminating between important and peripheral information and being able to see the whole picture.
- Communicating effectively: listening actively to others and letting others speak.
- Demonstrating accountability: taking responsibility for own actions and decisions.
- Managing self: working well autonomously; taking on activities and tasks without prompting; remaining objective, focussed and productive in a stressful environment; focusing on solutions rather than problems.
The language competencies required are:
- Spoken and written English or French: ability to understand and speak the other language in routine situations.
Employing a diverse and international workforce is a CERN core value and central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States irrespective of gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, race, religion or personal situation.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 17.04.2017.
By applying here, you allow CERN to consider your application for any position it considers relevant with respect to your profile. Please ensure you update your profile regularly with any relevant information and that you inform the recruitment service if you wish your file to be removed from the database.
We offer a limited-duration contract for a period of 5 years. Limited-duration contracts shall terminate by default on their date of expiry. Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Participation in a regular stand-by duty, including nights, Sundays and public holidays.
- Rork in Radiation Areas.
- Interventions in underground installations.
- A valid driving licence.
- Shift work, when required by the needs of the Organization.