Building and Infrastructure Project Manager
Are you an experienced project manager with outstanding negotiation and organisational skills? Do you enjoy achieving high quality results? Do you like to build effective collaborations with colleagues and contractors? Make your contribution to exciting and dynamic building and infrastructure projects within the most unique particle physics laboratory in the world: CERN. Take part!
Infrastructure and Building Project Manager in the Site Management and Building department (SMB), Site engineering group (SE), Civil Engineering and Buildings (CEB) section.
- The Site Engineering Group (SE) builds and maintains the Organization's sites (two main sites and 15 satellite sites), buildings (more than 500, totalling a usable surface area of 500,000 m2) and underground structures (over 60 km of machine tunnels and service tunnels). The Group's responsibilities cover all phases of a project, from the preliminary design study to the completion of construction. The Group also remains responsible for the infrastructures throughout their life cycles.
- The Civil Engineering and Buildings (CEB) Section (part of the SE Group) is responsible for organising, coordinating and supervising the execution of work related to buildings and civil engineering infrastructures. The activities managed by the section cover the building of new structures, maintenance and renovation. Around 20 people, including architects, engineers and construction technicians are employed in the section.
As Project Manager, you will be responsible for the execution of building and infrastructure projects from the initial conceptual design to the final delivery to the end users.
- Gather requirements and manage changes with the requesting departments.
- Set up project structures with accurate human and financial resource estimates.
- Plan and coordinate the work of the project design consultants including the selection process and, the set up and management of consultant contracts.
- Plan and manage the execution of works including, the set up and coordination of contracts for the execution of works.
- Ensure, in liaison with the appropriate external consultants (architects, design offices), that all constructions comply with the contractual drawings and documents.
- Coordinate the work, ensure quality management on-site, check measurements of completed work, approve payments and make sure that costs and schedules are respected.
- Negotiate financial settlements with various external firms.
- Make sure that all safety measures are taken on the work sites in order to keep the incident rate to a minimum.
- Report on project status and activities supervised.
Master's degree in the field of civil engineering or architecture, (or equivalent).
The experience required for this post is:
- Demonstrated experience in managing large infrastructure and building construction or renovation.
- Demonstrated experience in all trades coordination at design and execution phase.
- Demonstrated experience in the call for tender and selection of firms.
- Experience on both contractor and client sides will be an asset.
The technical competencies required for this post are:
- Quality management.
- Project management.
- Use of Scientific and Engineering software packages.
- Industrial and civil building design and construction.
- Underground and surface civil engineering design and construction.
The behavioural competencies required for this post are:
- Managing self: taking initiative beyond regular tasks and making things happen.
- Optimising resources: realistically assessing human and financial resource needs, evaluating risks and plans accordingly; effectively managing budget, optimizing human and financial resources.
- Achieving results: having a structured and organised approach towards work; being able to set priorities and plan tasks with results in mind.
- Communicating effectively: utilising effective negotiation techniques to achieve long-term results acceptable to all parties involved.
- Leading with strength and credibility: demonstrating authority and being accountable for actions, decisions and effective functioning of the team; making timely decisions that balance systematic analysis with decisiveness; dealing with difficulties in a timely manner.
The language competencies required are:
Spoken and written English or French: the ability to understand and speak one of the two languages fluently in professional contexts, with the ability to draft texts and to make oral presentations, as well as a basic knowledge of the other language or an undertaking to acquire it rapidly.
Employing a diverse and international workforce is a CERN core value and central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States irrespective of gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, race, religion or personal situation.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 05.06.2017.
By applying here, you allow CERN to consider your application for any position it considers relevant with respect to your profile. Please ensure you update your profile regularly with any relevant information and that you inform the recruitment service if you wish your file to be removed from the database.
We offer a limited-duration contract for a period of 5 years. Limited-duration contracts shall terminate by default on their date of expiry.
Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require :
- Work in Radiation Areas.
- TInterventions in underground installations.
- A valid driving licence is required.