Theoretical physicist in the areas of collider physics, QCD, beyond the Standard Model, heavy flavor physics and astroparticle physics/cosmology.
We are looking for a theoretical physicist in the areas of quantum field theory, string theory, particle physics phenomenology and astrophysics/cosmology. Our search will be targeted preferentially towards a theoretical physicist in the field of astrophysics/cosmology.
The objectives of the Theoretical Physics Department are:
- To develop new theoretical ideas aimed at understanding the fundamental constituents and forces of nature.
- To develop their relevance for the experimental programme of CERN and to take full advantage of the stimulating environment of a large laboratory.
- To contribute to the general scientific culture at CERN through active participation in the various training programmes and promotion of scientific events on site.
Your main functions will include:
- Making significant contributions to theoretical research related to elementary particle physics.
- Participating in and initiating a large variety of activities within the Theoretical Physics Department and possibly in collaboration with the experimental physicists working at CERN.
- Taking part in CERN committees and study groups.
- Helping maintain continued contacts with the outside scientific community.
PhD in the field of Physics, or equivalent.
The experience required for this post is:
- Thorough knowledge of theoretical physics: approximately 5 to 10 years' post-doctoral research activities which have led to the publication of high quality scientific papers on subjects linked to the research carried out at CERN.
- Evidence of ability to make significant contributions to the work of the Organization.
The technical competencies required for this post are:
- Computational and mathematical physics.
- Particle physics, phenomenology.
The behavioural competencies required for this post are:
- Achieving results.
- Solving problems.
- Building relationships.
- Creating vision and strategic partnerships.
The language competencies required are:
- Spoken and written English or French; ability to understand and speak the other language in professional contexts.
- Ability to draw-up technical specifications and/or scientific reports and to make oral presentations in at least one of the two languages.
Employing a diverse and international workforce is a CERN core value and central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States irrespective of gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, race, religion or personal situation.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 31.08.2017.
By applying here, you allow CERN to consider your application for any position it considers relevant with respect to your profile. Please ensure you update your profile regularly with any relevant information and that you inform the recruitment service if you wish your file to be removed from the database.
We offer a limited-duration contract for a period of 5 years. Limited-duration contracts shall terminate by default on their date of expiry.
Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.